• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

pilot skills necessary?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nik.kruhmin

Hello All,

I'm a 21 year old engineering student and glider pilot. I'm doing to SEL transition now in a Citabria (tailwheel) and am looking at purchasing a Sonerai I or II to most economically attack the air molecules. I have 20 glider hours and 15 tailwheel at present; I wouldn't fly the sonerai until after getting my SEL ticket so I'd have closer to 40 there and probably 40 in gliders too. I'm just wondering if I'm asking to kill myself with this thing.

Thanks,

Nik

Hi Nik,

Welcome to the forum. In my opinion, a well built and light Sonerai is not difficult to fly but it does deserve respect. Just by posting your question tells me you have the respect. Your experience in tailwheel aircraft will undoubtedly help you safely transition to the Sonerai. While some say 40 hours is not enough to fly the Sonerai, I say it depends on the individual and how the 40 hours was applied. If you have most of it in the Citabria performing a lot of landings and takeoffs in various wind conditions, you will be better prepared than a pilot with 400 hours of mostly x-country time in a C-150 and little time in a tailwheel aircraft. Your youth also has the added benefit of faster reflexes. I've seen many 20 year olds fly the socks off of more experienced 65 year pilots. I recommend that if possible, you get a few hours in an S2 Pitts. It's quicker than a Citabria and will prepare you that much more for the Sonerai.

-Scott

This is a question i too have been asking, just i'm still in high school and have only alot of right seat time. I think the best thing you can do is get a ride in one from someone that has a II or IIL. Im stilll looking forward to a ride, (i don't live in sonerai country). Try the roll call part of this site or stop by a EAA chapter and see what they can do. From what i've heard, the sonerai can be flown by a newer pilot, but is a "hands on Plane" and reguires some planning while entering the pattern. REMEMBER!! the sonerai was orignially a racing plane, and has carried some of those traits over. I have simply fallen in love with the design, and will start building asap. Heres why:
1. Generally speaking, the sonerai is a good looking, affordable 1-2 seat plane.
2. Only burns 3-5 gph
3. Folding wings save on hanger costs$$$
4. VW engine is inexpensive and reliable
5. Aerobatic and fast (some up to 130 knots!!, usally 120-125)
6. Older design, good reliabity and improved
7. Convertable tri or covn. gear, mid wing, low wing, fold wing, removable wing....
8. I think for a collage student like yourself, it would be a good fit, especailly if you want o make an occatoinal XC trip,

I wish you best on your search for the prefect plane, I started 4 years ago, and this seems to be the winner, i've seen it all from Aeroncas to ultralights to Money 20's, opps, i mean Mooneys. The sonerai seems to be a well mannered plane, and with some dual time in a Citabria and/or pitts, i think you'll have no problem making the transition. Oh, remeber, this is a psort plane, so baby steps, it's no citabria on the control imputs, i'd say it's probly more like a luscombe=]

Fly Safe
Andrew
Co-pilot N3351W
PA 32 260

Scott said it better with comparing skill levels, i know i can keep a fully loaded cherokee six flying straight for seemingly endless amounts of time, and i can keep ahead of the bird. But its rock solid IFR plane, well, not as much as A c172, but not bad. The skills you learn now are what will determind your ablity to operate any aircraft safely. I can't judge the plane fairly, but from what i've heard, she handles fine.

andrew again

I had 5.6 hours of tailwheel training time in a Decathlon when I first flew my Sonerai 2. My total time was 96 hours, and the Sonerai was easier to handle on the ground for me. I suspect it was due to the much lower mass and having individual toe brakes. Operating on a grass strip did not hurt either.
In the air it needed constant attention also.

with over 400hrs in the soneria 2 flying 1984 an 1979

the 84 had the hapi 1835 an the 79 has the revmaster 2100

for the bang for the buck this little airplane is hard to beat

you do need to be aware of the envelope of these things. They fly almost as well at 80knots as 120. You also need to be aware that they build up speed very quickly. Take it slowly. the aircraft will do almost anything you want it to do, but you need to be ahead of the aircraft. I

Back