Author Topic: Ribblet Airfoils  (Read 7550 times)

dcstrng

• Subscriber
  • registered
  • My Gallery
  • Engine: Sumthin' noisy
Re: Ribblet Airfoils
« Reply #15 on: Aug 02, 2013 »
I was just intrigued by the performance that Roger got out his Riblett wing. Carrying two 200 lbs people and maintaining good climb and landing characteristics. I will be flying solo exclusively so the point is mute for my construction. It is interesting though what the shape of the wing can do for performance though...

Count me among the guileless neophytes, albeit a geriatric one, who remain fascinated by the Riblett airfoil approach.  Mike Shuck (on his yahoo-airfoil site) has probably done as much independent analysis of these airfoils as anyone.  It goes without saying that Harry was probably the most vocal advocate of his own motif, not to mention a bit of a thorn in the side when it came to standard NACA airfoils whether turbulent or laminar (and more than once he expressed his dislike of the 23012 and progeny).  At least with Harry, one could actually chat with him – I met him once briefly, and called him several times on projects of mine (that I never completed).  Even when he was clearly sliding downhill fast, he still found time to come to the phone – he seemed to love chatting about wings and foils. 

Harry’s general mantra was what he called soft-stall, low trim-drag foils while retaining rather sizeable CLs.  There clearly have been enough birds flying with his work to be confident that they are not quirky, indeed reputedly just the opposite – he used a rather rigidly defined nose portion around the camber meanline (I think almost all of his that he published used the 0.5)  as verses the vector-radius method which the NACA foils use – NACA having settled on this method back in the 1930s.  I’m thinking the 37GA utility laminar series is quite intriguing, and depending on CL actually projected, either the 31X or the 41X so the bucket stays in the usable range.  In any case, whether one agrees with Harry’s motif or not, his booklets on foil design (still quite widely available) over the years are very understandable and have done much to take Abbott and Doenhoff and make their empirical evaluations and theoretical calculations understandable by mere mortals.
-- Larry

Bobcat Kid

• Subscriber
  • registered
  • My Gallery
  • Engine: Aerovee
  • Sonerai Model: Sonerai II N610BS
« Reply #16 on: Jan 16, 2018 »
Ivan I talked to Roger about his Riblett wings and he said that the spar was built up similar to the normal Sonerai spar but wider/with wider sparbox and that wings the same length as Sonerai wings would gve the desired results in lift. Did your wing construction work along the same lines as Sonerai wing construction, with the exception of the shape of the ribs and spar width?
-Pete

Pete:

Hi, I realize this is a very old post, but I am very interested in the Riblett airfoil for a Sonerai project.  I currently have Sonerai II N610BS and it's great, but I want to work another Sonerai IIL as a project.

I'm hoping to find drawings, photos and other tech data on this wing's build and installation on a Sonerai.  Any N-number leads on the few Sonerais with this wing would be great, especially if any of them, or any Riblett Sonerai wings are for sale.

Thanks,

Wally

dcstrng

• Subscriber
  • registered
  • My Gallery
  • Engine: Sumthin' noisy
« Last Edit: Jan 17, 2018 by dcstrng »
-- Larry

Bobcat Kid

• Subscriber
  • registered
  • My Gallery
  • Engine: Aerovee
  • Sonerai Model: Sonerai II N610BS
« Reply #18 on: Jan 18, 2018 »
Thanks for the great info and links on the Riblett Sonerai wing, I really appreciate you finding that for me!

Blue Skies,

Wally

Recent Topics

wing ribs by pilotsailing
Feb 16, 2018

Plans by acrojohn
Feb 15, 2018

emergency locator transmitter by Chucker
Feb 15, 2018

petrol tank by stepo
Feb 14, 2018

Back to building by jdawg1975