Author Topic: Drilling the control push-pull rod  (Read 863 times)

wbpace

• Subscriber
  • registered
  • My Gallery
  • Engine: Revmaster 2300 (tentative)
  • Sonerai Model: IILS
Drilling the control push-pull rod
« on: Nov 28, 2016 »
The control push-pull rod / torque tube assembly on the SII must be drilled in three places on each tube.  Those holes must both be on the some line along the tube and the holes must be in the same location on each tube, so that when it is all put together, the joysticks and lever that attaches to the elevator push-pull tube all line up.  My words may not give the problem justice. You may have to look at the torque tube assembly in your drawing to see what I mean.

So that's a lot to get right.  Any suggestions on how to do this?  I have a couple ideas for using a square aluminum tube or wooden V block to make a drilling jig, but I'm hoping someone could give me some practical pointers.  I can't find anything in Bingelis' books.

O'Bill

pilotsailing

• Subscriber
  • registered
  • My Gallery
Re: Drilling the control push-pull rod
« Reply #1 on: Nov 28, 2016 »
The way I did this task was to drill one hole in the tube on a v type block so that it is centered. I then layed the tube on a piece of angle iorn and clamped it. Then insert the drill through the holes in the tube and drill through the angle. take it apart and then mark the other holes to be drilled on the angle. put the tube back on the angle and insert a bolt thru both the tube and the angle and clamp. now drill the remaining 2 holes thru the angle and tube just one side. Remove the tube and finish drilling through the other side using your v block to be sure the holes are centered.

wbpace

• Subscriber
  • registered
  • My Gallery
  • Engine: Revmaster 2300 (tentative)
« Reply #2 on: Jun 07, 2017 »
Guys, I could use some help here.  I've tried twice to drill these tubes, and both times they come out not quite aligned and/or not quite on the same line.  Something is wrong in my technique.  If you have any pictures of jigging that you used when you made this, and would be willing to share them, I would really appreciate it.

O'Bill

schines

• Subscriber
  • registered
  • My Gallery
  • Engine: VW 2180
« Reply #3 on: Jun 14, 2017 »
O'Bill,
If I remember correctly, there was a line of lettering on my tube that I used as a reference in the V-block centering jig to keep the holes in line. I think one of my holes was very slightly off center with the other two, but since a bushing had to be welded in anyway, I just enlarged the hole a bit and made the correction in the welding process.
Scott

Recent Topics

Any builders in the DFW area? by danieldorgan
Today at 04:13 PM

Nice cold weather flying today! by kennyw
Dec 14, 2017

Air/Oil Seperator by Smokyray
Dec 14, 2017

Hydraulic brake choices by wbpace
Dec 13, 2017

Sonerai 2 fuel tank on Ebay by wbpace
Dec 13, 2017