Author Topic: mechanical fuel pump  (Read 1364 times)

stepo

• Subscriber
  • registered
  • My Gallery
  • Engine: V W 1834
  • Sonerai Model: Sonerai 1
mechanical fuel pump
« on: Dec 02, 2016 »
I am  have to fit a V W mechanical fuel pump, in the origin V W position   (on the top of the crankcase )                    and have the distributor drive shaft to drive the pump rod. but i  want to blank off the distributor  hole on top of the crankcase How  to keep the  distributor shaft in the correct position without the distributor.
Thank you.

lostmaniac

• Subscriber
  • registered
  • My Gallery
  • Engine: Revmaster 2100D
  • Sonerai Model: Sonerai IIL
Re: mechanical fuel pump
« Reply #1 on: Dec 02, 2016 »
Maybe it's me but I'm not sure I completely understand. Are you saying you want to drive the fuel pump off the distributor shaft instead of off the cam lobe?

I guess I don't follow why you wouldn't just allow it to drive as designed. Maybe I'm missing something here. I'll likely feel stupid when I figure this out but can you explain it?
Kenneth
Flying Teenie Two, Old Wills Wing Hang Glider, KR2 Part plane, Pieces of the only Avid Mark V built...
Addicted for sure
I'm also a CFII/MEI and teach tailwheel when I can.

Chucker

• Subscriber
  • registered
  • My Gallery
  • Engine: Revmaster 2100D
  • Sonerai Model: SII
« Reply #2 on: Dec 02, 2016 »
Try any of the crank triggered ignition manufacturers. CB Performance has one. They should have a distributor plug that mates with the distributor drive and allows the fuel pump to work. I'd give them a call.

You may find that a dust cover is all that is necessary. The pressure from the fuel pump shaft should keep the distributor drive shaft in place. I believe that the casing is the only rotational bearing provided. The distributor does not help with that load because the mating surface is slotted perpendicular to the rotational axis...it cannot help keep the driveshaft on center.  Only the engine casing bore can take that load.  The axial thrust is taken by the spacers under the distributor driveshaft shoulder.  They are under a load because the fuel pump is constantly pushing down on the driveshaft.

Clear as mud?

Short answer:  Any dust cover should do...but I would talk to CB Performance. I am sure that they have looked at this issue.

Chucker

stepo

• Subscriber
  • registered
  • My Gallery
  • Engine: V W 1834
  • Sonerai Model: Sonerai 1
« Reply #3 on: Dec 08, 2016 »
Hello .
To lostmaniac   
Thank you for your reply .I did not understand how  the fuel pump could work till I found a distributor shaft in a box of bits from my 1600cc  engine with the cam arrangement cast in it .
To Chucker.
Thank you for your reply also.  it  is very helpful , I have looked  up CB Performance and others nearer home and got the idea now
All the best.
Steve.

Recent Topics

AeroVee Aeroinjector woes! by Smokyray
Oct 21, 2017

LTS Gear Longeron Damage by Thaddeus
Oct 21, 2017

Cowling problems by mtdanet
Oct 18, 2017

Brown and Sharp # 5 reamer by Chucker
Oct 18, 2017

Secondary spark plug holes by Mytonic