Author Topic: Cowling Differences  (Read 368 times)

rludtke

• Subscriber
  • registered
  • My Gallery
Cowling Differences
« on: Jun 03, 2017 »
I've noticed at least two different cowling styles used on the Sonerai II. The differences seem to be mostly in the inlet sizes and shapes. One inlet shape is wide in the airplanes lateral axis, and narrow in the vertical axis, and looks like what the Sonerai I F-V racers used, and is the most pleasing to my eye. The other seems to be more common, is larger on the vertical axis, but much narrower on the lateral axis, and is semi elliptical in shape.

What is the reason for these different cowlings? Is one recommended over the other?

Thanks,
Rick
Thanks,
Rick

Raceair

• Subscriber
  • registered
  • My Gallery
  • Engine: 1600 c.c.
  • Sonerai Model: Sonerai one
Re: Cowling Differences
« Reply #1 on: Jun 04, 2017 »
Rick,   Welcome....The ORIGINAL Sonerai 2 cowl was nicknamed the Super Vee cowl,   and was for Monnetts Super Vee engine conversion,   which had a shaft extension,   large bearing,   and a Casting surrounding it.   Later Monnett came up with a short shrink fit prop hub,   and created the "Econo-Vee" cowling that is the blunt one you refer to.
      The Super Vee noses are rare,   the blunt Econo-Vee noses are much more plentiful.
    There were several shaft extension failures at the key way (Reported to be an alloy problem) on the racers and very early Sonerais,   so the Econo-Vee was the solution,   for durability and cost....

Bil438

• Subscriber
  • registered
  • My Gallery
  • Engine: Jabiru 3300 120 hp
  • Sonerai Model: II LS
Re: Cowling Differences
« Reply #2 on: Jun 04, 2017 »
Since you ask, for the J3300 engine I was able to extend the J2200 top cowling to fit but fabricated a mold to make a new Lower Cowling. Took a year, and still making small mods. Made the mount shorter (5"L)  to avoid additional divergence in yaw. Bigger vertical fin and rudder solved the yaw issue.

Recent Topics

AeroVee Aeroinjector woes! by Smokyray
Oct 21, 2017

LTS Gear Longeron Damage by Thaddeus
Oct 21, 2017

Cowling problems by mtdanet
Oct 18, 2017

Brown and Sharp # 5 reamer by Chucker
Oct 18, 2017

Secondary spark plug holes by Mytonic
Oct 18, 2017

Diehl engine casing by Chucker