Author Topic: Elevator Control Throw  (Read 428 times)

jamdfingr

• Subscriber
  • registered
  • My Gallery
  • Engine: 2007cc VW
  • Sonerai Model: Sonerai 2LS
Elevator Control Throw
« on: Jun 11, 2017 »
Ok, so my S2LS that I bought has its elevator motion set at 15 degrees up and 15 degrees down.

I understand that the plans call for 20 degree up instead of the 15 that I currently have. As a non-aerobatic pilot, is this ever going to be an issue for me at leaving it as 15 degrees? (eg. trouble with the flare etc.)

So, the second issue is that I cannot really change the control throw on this plane. Currently set where full elevator down is a punch to the rear seat and full elevator up is a punch in the nuts.

I thought about reducing this throw by drilling a second hole on the control horn attached to the elevator itself. While this worked for the upwards throw, downwards was restricted by the tube contacting the frame giving about 9-10 degrees elevator down at maximum.

If I try to shorten the elevator tube on the original control horn setting, then I can increase my elevator up, but decrease my elevator down (due to the stick already hitting the rear seat).

The only other way I could think of would be to shorten the control linkage bar behind the seat which attaches the elevator/aileron tubes by shortening the length to the lower elevator tube transfer connection.

Is there anything else I can do instead of this?

Control stops are currently located on the rear yoke but given throw impediments of seats and balls, there is only 30 degrees of throw to play with.

Luke.

pilotsailing

• Subscriber
  • registered
  • My Gallery
Re: Elevator Control Throw
« Reply #1 on: Jun 11, 2017 »
The only other way I could think of would be to shorten the control linkage bar behind the seat which attaches the elevator/aileron tubes by shortening the length to the lower elevator tube transfer connection.

if you lengthen this part it should give you more of up and down elevator, then you can put stops on to limit the amount.

jamdfingr

• Subscriber
  • registered
  • My Gallery
« Reply #2 on: Jun 11, 2017 »
Yep, sorry mate that was what I was trying to say above but got it around the wrong way.

By increasing that bar, I would be increasing the lever effect on the elevator tube.

I can use some simple maths to determine what the current angles and setup are to where they need to be.

It might be a combination of the two by shortening the tube up and also decreasing the throw on the yoke..

A bigger lever movement causing maximum deflection up and down to say 20 degrees and then shorten the tube to get it back to the original 15 degrees and change the stops to match.

Unfortunately, changing the tube means removing it, cutting it down a bit and then re-installing it. (Assume I can do this with the rudder in place).

jamdfingr

• Subscriber
  • registered
  • My Gallery
« Reply #3 on: Jun 12, 2017 »
Worked out that I can't remove the tube via the rudder in place.

Ended up fixing it with a third hole drilled between the first two on the vertical plane but back towards the rudder on the horizontal.

I could then extend the elevator tube via the front eye and finally got it set to down 15 degrees and up 20.

Very limited space to change any of the lever lengths as there would have been contact with several surfaces.

Happy days!

pilotsailing

• Subscriber
  • registered
  • My Gallery
« Reply #4 on: Jun 12, 2017 »
Good that it worked out. Yes sometimes there doesnt seem to be a lot of room to work in aircraft .

Recent Topics

Nice cold weather flying today! by kennyw
Dec 14, 2017

Air/Oil Seperator by Smokyray
Dec 14, 2017

Hydraulic brake choices by wbpace
Dec 13, 2017

Sonerai 2 fuel tank on Ebay by wbpace
Dec 13, 2017

Racegunz's Sonerai 1 by Raceair
Dec 12, 2017

Sonerai 2 Midwing For Sell Lower Michigan-by Airspace by ggrant