Author Topic: Cowling problems  (Read 589 times)

mtdanet

• Subscriber
  • registered
  • My Gallery
  • Engine: 2100D
  • Sonerai Model: II-L
Cowling problems
« on: Oct 15, 2017 »
Hi All,  well I have been making good progress on my IIL, My wings and ailerons are complete including paint, the empennage is covered and painted, fuselage and controls are complete also, landing gear with brake and wheel pants are complete, I have had a few head scratchers but we got them handled. Well today I fitted my new cowling, the bottom placed about 3/8" from the spinner leaves me still about a 1/2" short at the rear, I could shorten my engine mounting spacers but that would require modification of the cowling at the oil filter (see pic) and require moving the fuel tank to clear the mag box. Then I placed the upper cowling in place and it hits the intake runners.   I have a rev-master 2100D (although they deny any knowledge from ser. no.) So what to do??  try to find different intake runners or cut up my new cowl?? Any suggestions??

mtdanet

• Subscriber
  • registered
  • My Gallery
Re: Cowling problems
« Reply #1 on: Oct 15, 2017 »
I've tried to upload pics but my very poor ISP prevents it, I'll try again later. :-[

Kevin R.

• Subscriber
  • registered
  • My Gallery
  • Engine: 2180cc GPAS
  • Sonerai Model: Sonerai I
« Reply #2 on: Oct 15, 2017 »
I had the same problems with my cowl on my S-1.  It was about an inch too short and I also had to clear the intake tubes.

I added the necessary fiberglass  to the rear of the cowl and put "love bumps" on the forward cowl where I had necessary protrusions.  The love bumps were formed from a large kitchen cooking spoon and are barely noticeable on the finished plane.

Feel free to call and discuss any of this with me.  Ph. 817-408-0516 CST.

Kevin

mhflyit

• Subscriber
  • registered
  • My Gallery
  • Engine: GP built 2276
  • Sonerai Model: Sonerai IIL
« Reply #3 on: Oct 15, 2017 »
...and it probably will not be the last time you cut the cowl!
Matt

mtdanet

• Subscriber
  • registered
  • My Gallery
« Reply #4 on: Oct 18, 2017 »
I spoke with Fred K. today and he informed me why the cowling wasn't fitting. I have a RevMaster engine and because they have added different intake runners, oil filter and different prop mount. The cowling was designed before these changes were made. But thanks to Fred's great advice I now know how to move forward.
Blue Skies to all
John

Maxdriver

• Subscriber
  • registered
  • My Gallery
  • Sonerai Model: 2LS
« Reply #5 on: Nov 07, 2017 »
Are you going to be making some Blisters?
Dennis Tyson
Sonerai IIL Stretch

Bil438

• Subscriber
  • registered
  • My Gallery
  • Engine: Jabiru 3300 120 hp
  • Sonerai Model: II LS
« Reply #6 on: Nov 08, 2017 »
I started doing blisters and extensions to the lower cowl when I went to the Jabiru 3300. The cowling became a monster, so I shrink wrapped  the engine, applied spray foam to the lower half, used a rasp to shape it, took the foam off , inverted it for glas/epoxy layup, which was also shrink wrapped to make it tight. Some of it I may have used a vacuum pump. The cowling took the whole winter to finish.
It works and it fits but it is very hard to close, so much so I've gone to Hartwell  lever latches. They use those latches to close the cowlings on say B727.s Bill E

Maxdriver

• Subscriber
  • registered
  • My Gallery
  • Sonerai Model: 2LS
« Reply #7 on: Nov 08, 2017 »
Wow Bill, that's a lot of work. I'm familiar with those latches, they're nice.
Dennis Tyson
Sonerai IIL Stretch

mtdanet

• Subscriber
  • registered
  • My Gallery
« Reply #8 on: Nov 08, 2017 »
Hi All...since I last spoke I've installed intake blisters, oil filter blister for a smaller filter, dipstick and oil filler doors and lengthen the rear of the lower cowl. I'm getting better  it's become less daunting and less messy. Credit cards are very nice spreaders you can trim them to a radius of your choosing. The people at Fram Oil Fiilter were very helpful finding the smallest filter that fit without mods. My cowl at first was hard to close but the more I stiffen it the ezier it becomes. Thanks for all your posts very helpfull. John

Chucker

• Subscriber
  • registered
  • My Gallery
  • Engine: Revmaster 2100D
  • Sonerai Model: SII
« Reply #9 on: Nov 11, 2017 »
Just make sure you are running a high pressure oil filter. Check the burst pressure in the specifications. Cold oil in a VW engine can produce very high initial pressures. Those who use Fram generally run a remote HP-1.  However, other manufacturers have filters that can withstand up to 350 psi.

Bil438

• Subscriber
  • registered
  • My Gallery
  • Engine: Jabiru 3300 120 hp
  • Sonerai Model: II LS
Re: Cowling problems, now Oil Filters
« Reply #10 on: Nov 12, 2017 »
I bought a case of RyCo Filters for my J2200 cause they are OEM. Turns out they out sourced the filters to Thailand and they leaked; every one of the 12 leaked.
One important issue is filter case thickness.
Right now I'm running Toyota but it's a study every time I need a new one.
I also found it may be unwise to add washers under the oil pressure regulator spring. It doen't take many washers to get to 100 psi oil pressure.
Because aircraft engines are seldom running below 65% or 75%, low oil pressure , say around 20 psi may not be a problem at flight idle or ground idle.
Bill E

mtdanet

• Subscriber
  • registered
  • My Gallery
Re: Cowling problems, now oil filterss
« Reply #11 on: Nov 15, 2017 »
Well I finally had some spare time to call the people at Fram and spoke with Nick in the engineering dept. From their work in testing the Fram PH3614 oil filters that the lowest bursting strength was 310 PSI and a majority burst at over 400 psi. So there we have it, I won't be losing any sleep over my oil filter.
Blue skies to all
John

Recent Topics

Magneto Box by mtdanet
Nov 15, 2017

Cowling problems by mtdanet
Nov 15, 2017

14998 Zenith carb on a 1835 VW by lroth4
Nov 13, 2017

Is the Sonerai a smart choice as a first airplane? by Bil438
Nov 12, 2017

trailering by kennyw