Author Topic: trailering  (Read 130 times)

tx_swordguy

• Subscriber
  • registered
  • My Gallery
trailering
« on: Nov 08, 2017 »
Hi guys,
I am new to the forum and to sonerais in general. I currently fly an avid flyer out of a 1000' grass strip out side of valley view tx. In Smokey's neck of the woods. I am really interested in the 2l and am considering selling the avid in the spring to move into a sonerai 2l. Obviously I cannot continue to fly the sonerai out of the 1000' strip so will be looking into hangers in the area. My question is once I find a sonerai I have two options for trailers. I have an open modified boat trailer I used to haul the avid back from WI. I also have a 5.5x11 foot flat bed with 16" walls. I am leaning more toward the flat bed and making an extension for the tailwheel to sit on. My theory is that way I could make a wing stand to go over the fuselage similar to a glass rack on a truck (wings on either side of fuselage) and take the wings off. If I use the boat trailer I will have to make some sort of wing support and keep them folded for the ride back home. That would entail working away from home with limited tools etc. Also are there any flying sonerais in the dfw area?
Thanks Mark
Mark Whiddon

kennyw

• Subscriber
  • registered
  • My Gallery
  • 2nd "Caretaker" N994SP
  • Engine: GP 1835
  • Sonerai Model: IIL
Re: trailering
« Reply #1 on: Nov 08, 2017 »
I very recently trucked my Sonerai IIL 2,200 miles, from DFW area to Seattle area.  Smokey Ray did all the work.  He folded the wings, put swim noodles between the wing and fuselage and supported the wings by tying them up, with padded line, to the sidewalls of the cargo box.  I taped the ailerons to neutral position with 2" wide painter's tape.  Found the main gear needs to be braced side to side as well as fore & aft, and o make a few small adjustments in route.  If I had to do it again, I'd make a fixed cradle to bolt the tailwheel spring to after removing the tailwheel castor.  Having the tailwheel move at all with the tail spring tied down induced a side load on the tailwheel spring that caused it to snap at the tailwheel knuckle. 

You can see some more pics in my gallery.

-Ken
« Last Edit: Nov 08, 2017 by kennyw »

kennyw

• Subscriber
  • registered
  • My Gallery
  • 2nd "Caretaker" N994SP
  • Engine: GP 1835
  • Sonerai Model: IIL
Re: trailering
« Reply #2 on: Nov 08, 2017 »
Double post for some reason?!!!