Author Topic: flying with 2  (Read 579 times)

tx_swordguy

• Subscriber
  • registered
  • My Gallery
flying with 2
« on: Nov 22, 2017 »
I am very interested in the sonerai 2l or 2ls. I am currently flying an avid flyer and am looking at possibly selling it to guy a 2l. My question is not so much if I would fit. 5'9" 185 lb. but my wife is 5'4" and about the same weight ( a bit wider than me in the hips). I just read that it is supposed to be always piloted from the rear seat regardless of passenger or not. Seems like a huge visbility issue to me if the passenger is up front. If the passenger is indeed up front how much of a problem is the rudder use going to be with a wide passenger? and is there a way to make that more comfortable to the passenger? She has only flown 2 times in the last year with me so it is not truly a deal breaker but would like to make it doable for her. I have about 50 hrs on the avid since I bought it only about 2 of which she has done . It does not appear by forum posts, and you tube videos that there are many sonerais flying with passengers. elevation 700' north Texas area so that is not too much of an issue.
Mark Whiddon

eschrom

• Subscriber
  • registered
  • My Gallery
  • Engine: GP 2180
  • Sonerai Model: 2LS
Re: flying with 2
« Reply #1 on: Nov 23, 2017 »
Hi Mark,

I've flown 220-lb passengers but the lack of visibility and legroom made the experiences a bit nerve inducing for me. But everyone is different. My passengers were taller than your wife and I am shorter than you are, so your visibility might be better. The best way to tell is to try one on. Another possibility is to trade places, assuming the builder duplicated all the controls in both locations. For that though you would want a stretch.

Ed
2LS

Bil438

• Subscriber
  • registered
  • My Gallery
  • Engine: Jabiru 3300 120 hp
  • Sonerai Model: II LS
« Reply #2 on: Nov 29, 2017 »
I have a S2LS and weight say 260 lbs now, but 300 when I bought it. Waist is 44 now, but heading to 42".
One  issue for me is not space, but admittedly if it's tight for you flights beyond 90 minutes might not be fun.

My first engine delivered say 75 HP. It was always marginal for two. So I went for J3300 at 120+ hp. Looks more promising, Hoping to be airborne in say 1000'. So, power is another issue 2 up. If you live in the north not so much. If it gets really hot where you are, then 2 up might be reserved for the few cold days you get.

Smokyray

• Subscriber
  • registered
  • My Gallery
  • www.iamanet.org
  • Sonerai Model: "Former Caretaker" N994SP
« Reply #3 on: Dec 04, 2017 »
Mark,
The Sonerai 2 is a great 2 passenger airplane if the front passenger is a kid, or very petite adult female. During my season of ownership, N994SP with it's dialed in 1835 would get airborne in under 1000' and climb 800-900FPM with a 100lb kid or petite Esposa Loco. I'm 5'10"/170. Anyone larger than that will be a tight squeeze and a challenge for the confines of the little machine IMHO. Forward visibility alone is very restricted with a petite adult up front. That said, the useful load of the 557lb S2 was nearly it's own empty weight, not many airplanes can boast that.

Bottom line: if you want a low budget 2 pax airplane to fly off your grass strip, you may need to look no further than your Avid.
The Sonerai 2 is more of a 1+1/2.

Size matters! Imagine yourself in the front cockpit...a tight squeeze.

V/R
Smokey

PS: The requirements you seek easily fall within the RV series capabilities. Unfortunately the cost index triples, trust me. ???
« Last Edit: Dec 04, 2017 by Smokyray »

tx_swordguy

• Subscriber
  • registered
  • My Gallery
« Reply #4 on: Dec 05, 2017 »
Thanks Smokey,
I know the avid is ideal for what I am currently doing. Just would like to add speed and maybe some rolls and loops occasionally. I know the 1000' grass strip is not sonerai friendly and would be looking for a hanger. I really like the sonex and may just wait and get a lower end sonex but dang that sonerai sure looks good!! RVs would be awesome just way above my price range
Mark Whiddon

juergen

• Global Moderator
  • registered
  • My Gallery
  • Engine: 2180cc
  • Sonerai Model: Sonerai1
« Reply #5 on: Dec 06, 2017 »
Hi Smoky,
some remarks to your statement about the S2:
I had flown as pax with Scott above the Paladuro Canyon: I am 5ft 10" tall and my weight (at this time) was 171lbs
shure, the pax seat of the S2 is not too much.. but for 1/2 - 1h is OK, the S2s is much more better..
For the flight, have a look at :  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nZBJW-AlZ4

with best regards from Germany
Juergen

Recent Topics

Any builders in the DFW area? by danieldorgan
Today at 04:13 PM

Nice cold weather flying today! by kennyw
Dec 14, 2017

Air/Oil Seperator by Smokyray
Dec 14, 2017

Hydraulic brake choices by wbpace
Dec 13, 2017