Author Topic: A sad day!  (Read 574 times)

Pttim

• Administrator
  • registered
  • My Gallery
  • I thought this would only take a year!
  • Engine: Great Plains 2180
  • Sonerai Model: SIIL
A sad day!
« on: Jan 06, 2018 »
It is with a heavy heart I have to say n340h  (Tom Mitchell)  has gone West. Tom passed away suddenly of a heart attack.
I know Tom was still actively building his 2LS and was on the home stretch!  We spoke weekly on the phone for hours at a time.  A true gentleman, father & grandfather and one hell of a craftsman and friend.  I never personally got a chance to meet Tom and I am deeply saddened by this news.

Blue Sky's and calm winds Tom.
Pttim

Member:  Tail Dragging Stick Monkey Association

Raceair

• Global Moderator
  • registered
  • My Gallery
  • Engine: 1600 c.c.
  • Sonerai Model: Sonerai one
Re: A sad day!
« Reply #1 on: Jan 06, 2018 »
Oh,    I am sorry to hear this....Just spoke with him two weeks ago......We mostly talked about his Skylite,   his Sonerai,   and his Dog.....He was a good Sonerai proponent,   and a friend.   I am saddened.  He recently machined a prop extension for my #14 Sonerai,   I will be putting his name on the fuselage side in a list of helpers that have helped me on that project.  Have a good trip west,   Tom.........................

mhflyit

• Subscriber
  • registered
  • My Gallery
  • Engine: GP built 2276
  • Sonerai Model: Sonerai IIL
« Reply #2 on: Jan 06, 2018 »
Very sorry to hear this news. Just from seeing his posts on this forum he seemed like craftsman, an innovator and a gentleman.
Matt

o2koold

• Subscriber
  • registered
  • My Gallery
  • Engine: 2276 EFI
  • Sonerai Model: IIL
« Reply #3 on: Jan 07, 2018 »
This was very sad news to me. Tom was a great friend and a generous soul. He has machined high quality parts for so many builders, most likely at a personal loss. His love of family was immediately evident to anyone that spoke with him. He was always available to talk for hours about airplanes, his dogs and grandkids.
You will sorely missed Tom.

eschrom

• Subscriber
  • registered
  • My Gallery
  • Engine: GP 2180
  • Sonerai Model: 2LS
« Reply #4 on: Jan 08, 2018 »
I only knew Tom through his postings on this site and several emails but even still his first class character shone through. It's a terrible shame that he wasn't able to enjoy a long retirement. Watch over us from the Big Sonerai, Tom.

Ed

racegunz

• Subscriber
  • registered
  • My Gallery
  • Engine: Revmaster
  • Sonerai Model: Sonerai 1 "someday"
« Reply #5 on: Jan 08, 2018 »
I corresponded with Tom a few times he seemed to be a great guy. We shared interests in experimental aircraft, aviation, and USPSA competitions,  my other time consuming, wallet draining hobby! Tom freely shared with me some of his machining skills and info about carbon fiber layups. He will be missed. By looking at his gallery he was a true craftsman, I could only hope to someday be that good.  After reading these posts it's obvious he was a great Sonerai community contributor!

N127PZ

• Subscriber
  • registered
  • My Gallery
  • Engine: Revmaster 1700
  • Sonerai Model: SIIL - single seat
« Reply #6 on: Jan 13, 2018 »
Also Sad  :'(  I had sold Tom a pair of SU carbs which he repaired to use. I was very much looking forward in my retirement to visiting all my Sonerai friends in the North country. Please hang in there guys I want to see as many of you as I can before 2020. -Pete

Addition: I had forgotten Tom supplied many of us with free carbon-fibre. Looking at his gallery I was stunned with his instrument panel creation. Tom you are a master.
« Last Edit: Jan 13, 2018 by N127PZ »
Prayer does not use up artificial energy, doesn't burn up any fossil fuel, doesn't pollute. Neither does song, neither does love, neither does the dance.
Margaret Mead

Recent Topics

wing ribs by pilotsailing
Feb 16, 2018

Plans by acrojohn
Feb 15, 2018

emergency locator transmitter by Chucker
Feb 15, 2018

petrol tank by stepo
Feb 14, 2018

Back to building by jdawg1975
Feb 09, 2018