Author Topic: Oil Cooler Adapter  (Read 602 times)

Chucker

• Subscriber
  • registered
  • My Gallery
  • Engine: Revmaster 2100D
  • Sonerai Model: SII
Oil Cooler Adapter
« on: Jan 09, 2018 »
Just finished my oil cooler adapter.  Too many man hours....but it was fun to make.

Chucker

Bil438

• Subscriber
  • registered
  • My Gallery
  • Engine: Jabiru 3300 120 hp
  • Sonerai Model: II LS
Re: Oil Cooler Adapter-sealing
« Reply #1 on: Jan 10, 2018 »
My oil cooler adapter (J3300) spins on with the oil filter. O-ring seals each side. Even if I use the square section 3" seal used on the filter, I get some oil  leakage. Has anyone figured out a sealant to use on the O-ring between the adapter and the engine case? BillE

N127PZ

• Subscriber
  • registered
  • My Gallery
  • Engine: Revmaster 1700
  • Sonerai Model: SIIL - single seat
Re: Oil Cooler Adapter
« Reply #2 on: Jan 13, 2018 »
I like your adapter. I bought the one Great Plains used to sell but have not hooked it up because I read here Revmaster's need internal oil passage work before oil will route to the adapter. Retirement from FedEx is getting closer. My 65th birthday is March 22, all good will and cash donations accepted! -Pete
Prayer does not use up artificial energy, doesn't burn up any fossil fuel, doesn't pollute. Neither does song, neither does love, neither does the dance.
Margaret Mead

Chucker

• Subscriber
  • registered
  • My Gallery
« Reply #3 on: Jan 14, 2018 »
Thanks, Pete. Happy birthday and happy retirement!

Chucker

• Subscriber
  • registered
  • My Gallery
« Reply #4 on: Jan 15, 2018 »
To use a top mount oil cooler on a Revmaster engine, you will need to do a few things...and that depends on what you want to remove and what you want to keep.  Its best to start where the oil does...at the pump. 

You can keep the Revmaster pump, if you like.  In my opinion, the Revmaster pump is too large.  It provides far more flow than you could ever use unless you are running the controllable pitch prop that Joe had in mind when he designed the engine.  This pump has built-in pressure relief and regulation and the attached full-flow filter.  To use your top-mount cooler you would need to run the oil line leaving the filter back to the front of the case above the stock pressure regulating and relief piston.  Revmaster removed that piston and spring.  You will need to replace them.  Revmaster also plugged the drain hole and weep hole below the piston.  Those plugs both need to be removed.  If you have a dual relief case, you will need to replace the pressure control valve (near the flywheel).  I have not seen a Revmaster dual-relief case....but the hole leading back to the sump is likely plugged.  Remove that plug as well.

If you don't want to run the Revmaster pump and you don't want to run an oil filter, you can restore your engine to stock configuration (although I use a 26mm pump).  The stock passage way leaving the oil pump has been blocked.  Remove that plug.  Then, as described above, replace one or both pressure relief and regulating pistons and springs (depending on the case you have, single or dual relief).  Remove the two plugs below the piston on the prop side of the engine as well as the plug below the piston on the flywheel side.

In any case, you will need to remove the top plugs that block the stock ports to the top-mount oil cooler.  I hope this all makes sense.

All the best,
Chucker

N127PZ

• Subscriber
  • registered
  • My Gallery
  • Engine: Revmaster 1700
  • Sonerai Model: SIIL - single seat
« Reply #5 on: Jan 31, 2018 »
I follow most of the above~ translating it to a 1976 Revmaster may be a little different, but I have a great local VW source in our EAA chapter and will pick his brains. :)
Prayer does not use up artificial energy, doesn't burn up any fossil fuel, doesn't pollute. Neither does song, neither does love, neither does the dance.
Margaret Mead

Recent Topics

wing ribs by pilotsailing
Feb 16, 2018

Plans by acrojohn
Feb 15, 2018

emergency locator transmitter by Chucker
Feb 15, 2018

petrol tank by stepo
Feb 14, 2018

Back to building by jdawg1975
Feb 09, 2018