Author Topic: I have some carbon fiber  (Read 1603 times)

n3480h

• Subscriber
  • registered
  • My Gallery
  • Engine: VW 2287cc
  • Sonerai Model: 2LS
I have some carbon fiber
« on: Apr 28, 2009 »
I'm a QA inspector for a medical device manufacturer and sometimes have (legal) access to rejected carbon fiber product.  Typically, this is the very attractive 2x2 twill carbon fiber.  There is nothing wrong with the carbon fiber, the parts may have had a machining error whic does not affect the carbon, etc.  I am going to use some of it for a panel, seat panels, etc.

It occurs to me that since I am just starting the build process, I might be able to trade some of this material for some of the smaller things I will need.  Clecos, old, but serviceable instruments, small tools, extra landing gear fairings, whatever.

The material can be as large as 24" long by 18-20" wide, and about .070" thick.  It is cured prepreg, often multiple biased plies, so its very stiff.  Ideal for panels and such, but I will not recommend it for anything structural. 

Let me know if any of you Sonerai owners (see?  Loyal to the breed already, lol) have a need for a piece of this carbon fiber, and what size you need.  Maybe we can work something out.

I also have access to nylon and Delrin rod, bar, and block material (mfg. drop).

Tom
Member, Taildragging Stick Monkey Association

N127PZ

• Subscriber
  • registered
  • My Gallery
  • Engine: Revmaster 1700
  • Sonerai Model: SIIL - single seat
Re: I have some carbon fiber
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2009 »
Tom, I don't know what I got to trade you but I am sure I have something you might need. Jeurgen has a couple of great articles about carbonfiber panel and throttle quadrant. I will rumage thru the work shop this weekend. ;D
-Pete
Prayer does not use up artificial energy, doesn't burn up any fossil fuel, doesn't pollute. Neither does song, neither does love, neither does the dance.
Margaret Mead

n3480h

• Subscriber
  • registered
  • My Gallery
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2009 »
Hi Pete,

Just let me know what you want and I'll get it ready.  I have two types of finish.  The one is what I recommend, because it has a soft "linen" finish to it.  I think that's what I'm going to use for my panel because it will reflect much less glare, yet still show off that great 2x2 carbon weave.  The other is a high gloss (clearcoated) type, very pretty, but that is not as thick or stiff - more of an overlay material.

Tell you what, I'll ship what you need and you can then figure out what you feel is fair as far as an item of trade.  I'll send a little extra so you can test cutting and drilling (similar to the bits for plexiglass) techniques.  I have nothing stocked for my IILS yet, so anything useful is good.

Tom

N127PZ

• Subscriber
  • registered
  • My Gallery
  • Engine: Revmaster 1700
  • Sonerai Model: SIIL - single seat
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2009 »
This was Jeurgens post about his construction, he referenced .06-.08 material so .07 should work great. None or what he made was structural and he saved several pounds making a few things. 8)
thread: http://www.sonerai.net/CMS/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=100&topic=296.0
photos:  http://www.sonerai.net/gallery/index.php?cat=10106
-Pete
Prayer does not use up artificial energy, doesn't burn up any fossil fuel, doesn't pollute. Neither does song, neither does love, neither does the dance.
Margaret Mead

n3480h

• Subscriber
  • registered
  • My Gallery
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2009 »

Thanks Pete.  Sent email.

I might have a source for more of the carbon material.  Seems the company that makes some of the larger pieces sometimes makes a mistake in machining and never ships the piece.  There is no demand for them, so I may pick up a few freebies.  I'll check that out.

Nice work Jeurgen!  Very clean and professional.

Stopped by the local airport after an absence of maybe 7 years.  Turns out there are two SIILS out there (they're everywhere!), and I know both pilots.  I will finally get to sit in one and make engine noises.

o2koold

• registered
  • My Gallery
  • Engine: 2276 EFI
  • Sonerai Model: IIL
« Reply #5 on: Jan 01, 2011 »
Hi Tom,
I was wondering/hope I might be able to purchase some of this carbon panel, if the offer is still available.  I am hoping to get my panels done over the winter to cover early in the spring.  Send me a PM if you get a chance. Thanks.
Scott R

thomefran

• registered
  • My Gallery
« Reply #6 on: Jan 01, 2011 »
Man this is a good thread.  How did I miss it?  Hope it is still available.  I would love to use some on a new rear panel in my SII.
Thom Francis
Sonerai II LT
N42HL

Regret is valid only when you are too old to correct it.

n3480h

• Subscriber
  • registered
  • My Gallery
« Reply #7 on: Jan 01, 2011 »
Little interest since Pete, and now everyone wants it, lol.  That's a good thing.  This is autoclave cured flat and very shallow U section material. It is .050-.060" thick, and very stiff.  I have enough to make a LOT of panels and a LOT of seat pans.  I'm not doing this to make money, but there is considerable labor in stripping it off the original product, so there is a small cost.  Everyone needs to understand 2 things: 
1 - This is NOT for structural use, but its great for panels and seat pans.
2 - When cutting this material you MUST use full protection; Full Tyvek suit, respirator, goggles, leather or heavy rubber gloves.  If not, you may suffer with severe itiching and potential lung damage.  We don't want that.

So if you can comply with those two points, send me an email with your needs and your address.  I will reply with the cost and some technical info that will save you time and produce beautiful and light carbon fiber parts that will last forever.

Tom

Recent Topics

Magneto Box by mtdanet
Nov 15, 2017

Cowling problems by mtdanet
Nov 15, 2017

14998 Zenith carb on a 1835 VW by lroth4
Nov 13, 2017

Is the Sonerai a smart choice as a first airplane? by Bil438
Nov 12, 2017

trailering by kennyw