Author Topic: sonerai flying qualities  (Read 13969 times)

thomefran

• registered
  • My Gallery
Re: sonerai flying qualities
« Reply #15 on: Dec 21, 2010 »
Hi Bill

When I started researching the Sonerai II, the first thing I found was an accident by a new pilot on Youtube.  If I had thought that that was a fair representation of the Sonerai I would have stopped there and not gone looking for one.

I am a builder and know that every aircraft that is a homebuilt is different from every other one.  Even if a manufacturer give one every part needed there will be someone that will want to change something.  It is just the way we are.

If I had read your post I would have look for something different also.  I now have a grand total of 7 hours over 20+ take off and landings.  I find the S II a very responsive, nimble, and quick a/c.  I am really glad that I found mine.  I hope others will find the one they are looking for or building.

Everytime I fly my girl she shows me something new and interesting.  It has been an adventure which I have really enjoyed.  You see I fly gyros and they are very enjoyable also.  The one I built is also known as the widow maker.  I have modified it to the point that there is very little bad left to deal with.  Over the last 4 years I have enjoyed flying my gyro also.  So  you can see I do understand flight that isn't safe and secure.   I guess I'm a little bit of an adrenalin junkie.  Life is too short to be boared.

I hope to meet all of you soon.

Thanks
« Last Edit: Dec 21, 2010 by thomefran »
Thom Francis
Sonerai II LT
N42HL

Regret is valid only when you are too old to correct it.

daddo2

• registered
  • My Gallery
  • Engine: Aerovee 2180
  • Sonerai Model: S-II Midwing
« Reply #16 on: Dec 21, 2010 »
         It seems to me that there are two types of Sonerai's......(1)those that hold true to the original design and (2)test planes. An aircraft built to design specs is going to have predicatable flight charachteristics. Alter the design and not only are you flying a test plane, you're a test pilot.My SII Midwing is a little on the heavy side with starter and full electrical but you'd never know it. And it's VW powered.( why anyone would want to change from the VW is beyond me.It's an inexpensive and a proven design.Parts and service are readily available and there is an enormous support base) It's not a difficult plane to fly.In fact, I would say it's a relative easy transition from any other taildragger, though I've heard the S1 is a little harder to land because it's shorter.Either way you do need to be tailwheel proficient and have more than beginner flying skills.....FredL

Airskip.2010

« Reply #17 on: Dec 21, 2010 »
Life is too short to be boared.

Life's not too short. It's just that your dead for so long....

dayflyer47

• registered
  • My Gallery
  • loving those sonerais
  • Engine: 2180 revmaster (dreaming right now)
  • Sonerai Model: sonerai 2l
« Reply #18 on: Dec 21, 2010 »
I appreciate all your responses.  I am green when it comes to the sonerai, my flying has been with a challenger 2 took my checkride with 15mph direct crosswinds, passed very well.  I do only have 43 hours in flying, and as I said earlier it is a very stick and rudder plane, so I am simply looking to learn about this aircraft.  I am looking at a sonerai II with a 2100 revmaster, no electric but I will later install a starter alternator.  I don't know why it has caught my interest so much, I guess versatility.  You get speed, cross country capability, and a little acrobatic ability as well.  Can this plane fly at all say slow flight?  Like can it fly at 70 if a guys wanted to?

DAve
No matter how old you may be, its still never to late to live your dream.

Airskip.2010

« Reply #19 on: Dec 21, 2010 »
I am in a similar boat, Dave.  My time is mostly in a CGS Hawk.  Never flown a low wing.

Are you licensed, yet?  If so, LSA or Private?

Skip

Raceair

• Subscriber
  • registered
  • My Gallery
  • Engine: 1600 c.c.
  • Sonerai Model: Sonerai one
« Reply #20 on: Dec 22, 2010 »
I wouldn't make it a practice of flying a Sonerai around at 70...For one thing, the angle of attack, and power required would  make the engine to run pretty warm.    With these cowl inlets, ram air at speed is needed to cool the engine properly.    Besides, I really don't believe the marketing numbers for the Sonerai 1 or 2 stall speeds.......70 is too slow for routine maneuvering.....Ed

Schmleff

• Administrator
  • registered
  • My Gallery
  • I like Ninjas and Cake
  • Engine: VW 2110cc
  • Sonerai Model: Sonerai I
« Reply #21 on: Dec 22, 2010 »
I agree with Ed. The only time I want to see 70 on my ASI is when I am over the numbers on a short strip. Flying around at that speed would put the nose really high and require a lot of power. I would not like to fly mine around under 120mph. FWIW, is a SI not an SII.
Jeff Lange
Sonerai I
N1463J

Buy the best and cry once - Gene Berg

Gaston

• registered
  • My Gallery
  • Engine: Great plains 2276
  • Sonerai Model: 2L
« Reply #22 on: Dec 22, 2010 »
Hi all mine is a S2L
sometimes I use to fly slow downwind leg,for traffic clearance and I slow it down to about 70 mph ,just for exploring new feelings, and for short period of time.
at this speed ,nor the bird nor the pilot feel happy...
I never did that with a passenger,and never will...
the worst thing for me ,I find, is high vibration associated with high power at slow speed ,probably due to the down going blade having a much higher angle of attack that the up going blade.
100 mph is not bad,but not that good either.playing around a C-150 for photo & video shooting,is not very pleasant...
the real fun gets in over 130, and what fun it is...

Why should one want to fly a Sonerai at 70 MPH anyway

Gaston

dayflyer47

• registered
  • My Gallery
  • loving those sonerais
« Reply #23 on: Dec 22, 2010 »
Yes,  I got my license back in october.    I got my sports ticket, figured I am 50 years old probably don't need my private now.

Dave

dayflyer47

• registered
  • My Gallery
  • loving those sonerais
« Reply #24 on: Dec 22, 2010 »
Just asking if it would do it?  I was wondering if that is considered its slow flight but it seems like everyone is saying that is too slow for it.  I have heard that vw engine gets  a little to warm if the ram air isnt' coming right in on it.  So will the common SII cruise at 130 or 135 mph for considerable amount of time?

and I again thank you in advance for your post and tolerating my questions

Dave

dayflyer47

• registered
  • My Gallery
  • loving those sonerais
« Reply #25 on: Dec 22, 2010 »
skip,

have you got your sonerai yet? or like me just looking and dreaming right now?

Dave

Gaston

• registered
  • My Gallery
  • Engine: Great plains 2276
« Reply #26 on: Dec 22, 2010 »
Dave
the S2 will cruise at 130-135 as long as there is some light blue stuff in the thank,or your bladder if full...

Gaston

dayflyer47

• registered
  • My Gallery
  • loving those sonerais
« Reply #27 on: Dec 22, 2010 »
Thanks, is that cruise pretty well normal with most of the engines, bigger engine better climb still hold true in the sonerai?

Chuck in Indiana

• registered
  • My Gallery
  • Engine: VW 1835
« Reply #28 on: Dec 22, 2010 »
Thanks, is that cruise pretty well normal with most of the engines, bigger engine better climb still hold true in the sonerai?

As far as I know, that applies to all airplanes.
On your question about slow flight, my airplane stalls at 62 indicated. Can you fly it at 70? Sure. Carefully, making very gentle control movements. It's an 1835, so be aware that it is very much behind the power curve at 70. Why would you want to fly it at 70? ;D
On landing, I like to see 80 over the fence, or more if carrying a passenger.

dayflyer47

• registered
  • My Gallery
  • loving those sonerais
« Reply #29 on: Dec 22, 2010 »
really just checking on the performances of the plane.  The one I am looking at is equipped with a 2100 revmaster but its still up in the air. 

Recent Topics

Magneto Box by mtdanet
Nov 15, 2017

Cowling problems by mtdanet
Nov 15, 2017

14998 Zenith carb on a 1835 VW by lroth4
Nov 13, 2017

Is the Sonerai a smart choice as a first airplane? by Bil438
Nov 12, 2017

trailering by kennyw
Nov 08, 2017

Colorado Sonerai by myles-dean