Author Topic: Sonerai II L seats  (Read 2278 times)

angelair

• Subscriber
  • registered
  • My Gallery
Sonerai II L seats
« on: Sep 15, 2008 »
I'm currently building a Sonera IIL. I'm wanted for two seats. Is some body now were I can buy these seats? please write me to e-mail angelair@wanadoo.es

piperpilot1363

Re: Sonerai II L seats
« Reply #1 on: Sep 16, 2008 »
I think it would be more practical and easier to just build a set. The construction is simple and inexpensive, and would be customized to your plane/person. Just some thoughts....

Andrew
Controller to aircraft that just landed: "Bear right, next intersection"

Pilot: "Roger, we have him in sight"

Soneraifred

• Global Moderator
  • registered
  • My Gallery
  • N99FK and me at OSH
  • Engine: GPASC/Monnett/Keip 2180 VW
  • Sonerai Model: IIL
« Reply #2 on: Sep 16, 2008 »
The seat structures are part of the plans.  Just weld the seats in, cover the bottoms and backs with aluminum (use 0.025" 2024-T3 cut so that it wraps around the tubes, and rivets to itself).  Make seat cushions and seat backs, and velcro them on.  Simple and light weight.
Fred Keip
Sonerai Newsletter Editor-Retired
Sonerai IIL, N99FK

Bil438

• Subscriber
  • registered
  • My Gallery
  • Engine: Jabiru 3300 120 hp
  • Sonerai Model: II LS
« Reply #3 on: Sep 16, 2008 »
I'll confirm what the others wrote about seats
The seat frames are part of the fuselage welded structure. The back and pan are very light aluminum latticework.
Keeping the weight down is your central task as a builder. Consider how to save every possible gram.
My SIILS weighs 538# empty. Gross is 1150 lbs.
Think "Light is Right".
Bill

Jim

« Reply #4 on: Sep 19, 2008 »
Not being a seamstress (seams give me stress) I am using a set of prefabricated seat cushions from Nelson Flight Seat.  I may want a super custom seat in the future, but until i get some hours in, this will make a good practical seat that i can easily replace.

Check out Aircraft Spruce.com and search for Nelson Flight Seat or use this link... there are several colors and styles that can be easily attached to the seat bottom and backing.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/pspages/childCushion.php

Jim

« Reply #5 on: Sep 19, 2008 »
I also received information from RANS Aircraft that the seats they use in their light aircraft can be purchased for $750 /set of two... but this is too rich for my budget.

Several manufacturers of recumbent bikes have sent me information about their seats... these are light, well constructed seats that are built to be comfortable for hours of cycling... this may be my upgrade from the Nelson seats at a later point.

ltusmcret

• registered
  • My Gallery
« Reply #6 on: Sep 19, 2008 »
Check out dune buggy seats at your local shops.  They generally are about 18 inches wide, made of ABS plastic, easily modified to fit not only the fuselage but your body type, and usually run anywhere from $30 to $60.  Hope this helps - at least gives you another option.  Oh yes, the shops also carry pre-made upholstery for the seat at reasonable prices.  They can easily be attached to the welded-in seat frames so that you can maintain structural integrity in the fuselage.

Claude

splischke

• Administrator
  • registered
  • My Gallery
  • Scott Plischke Sonerai IIL N994SP
  • Engine: Great Plains 2180cc VW
  • Sonerai Model: IIL
« Reply #7 on: Sep 19, 2008 »
I saw this seat used in a homebuilt...

These are available from http://www.speedwaymotors.com/p/7652,223_Lightened-Bomber-Seat.html.  I don't know if it'll fit in a Sonerai. 

Despite mentioning the above, I advocate building the seat frames as specified on the plans.  It's hard to beat the fit, simplicity, strength, weight and price of the integrated 4130 tube frames per plans.

I understand that some people are hesitant to sew but you can easily make a fine set of upholstered seat cushions yourself for just a few dollars.  See  http://www.sonerai.net/CMS/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=100&topic=947.0

N994SP: Bio

N127PZ

• Subscriber
  • registered
  • My Gallery
  • Engine: Revmaster 1700
  • Sonerai Model: SIIL
« Reply #8 on: Sep 20, 2008 »
I'll jump in here again with my K-mart(walmart) /  Aircraft Spruce seat. $5.oo for the cover from a sale at the above merchant and $15.00 of Conforfoam from A/C Spruce 12"x12". My seat bottom is a cut to fit street sign my 1st builder cut and fit and my back is 1/4" plywood covered with indoor/outdoor carpet from Lowes($5.00). Ultra comfortable. Pix in my photo section.
-Pete
« Last Edit: Sep 20, 2008 by phzabriskie »
Prayer does not use up artificial energy, doesn't burn up any fossil fuel, doesn't pollute. Neither does song, neither does love, neither does the dance.
Margaret Mead

Recent Topics

Winter Flying by wafer
Today at 04:54 PM

Steel main gear by Raceair
Today at 03:41 PM

Page 26: Aluminum Pan by Pttim
Today at 12:02 PM

Engine Cooling by BoeingPilot
Nov 23, 2014

Low Cost LED lighting ? by BoeingPilot
Nov 23, 2014