• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

1/2" bolts on carry through?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CdnMedic

I have my carry through 90% done. Welded up, and have 2 of the holes drilled for the bolts that hold the 1/8" steel straps/center section in place.
My plans indicate they are 1/2" diameter, yet the bolts that hold the carry through to the airframe are 5/16"?

I put the bolts in to hold things in place to go to the next set of holes and thought to myself they look large in comparison to what I remember seeing in pictures, and just took another look at the media files on here, and sure enough, it seems like for everyone else they are 5/16" bolts in comparison to the bolts that hold it to the airframe...

Am I going to have to make a 2nd carry through?

Interesting. I’ve looked at all of the Sonerai II, IIL, and IILTS main spar carry-thru drawings, and there are no 1/2” dia holes called out. There are 1/4” holes for the AN4 bolts that hold the 1/8” plates to the tube assembly. There are the 5/16” dia holes for the AN5 bolts that mount the carry-thru to the fuselage. And there the four large holes for the four taper pins the secure the wings to the carry-thru which are not dimensioned. The 5/16” holes are drilled with the carry-thru fitted to the fuselage using the bushings welded to the fuselage as guides. The taper pin holes end up being in the neighborhood of 1/2” dia, but you must predrill using a smaller drill and then open up the holes with the taper pin reamer with the wing spars in place. If taper pins are not used, then AN8 bolts should be used, and a straight reamer used to provide a tight fit for the bolts.

Interesting. I’ve looked at all of the Sonerai II, IIL, and IILTS main spar carry-thru drawings, and there are no 1/2” dia holes called out. There are 1/4” holes for the AN4 bolts that hold the 1/8” plates to the tube assembly. There are the 5/16” dia holes for the AN5 bolts that mount the carry-thru to the fuselage. And there the four large holes for the four taper pins the secure the wings to the carry-thru which are not dimensioned. The 5/16” holes are drilled with the carry-thru fitted to the fuselage using the bushings welded to the fuselage as guides. The taper pin holes end up being in the neighborhood of 1/2” dia, but you must predrill using a smaller drill and then open up the holes with the taper pin reamer with the wing spars in place. If taper pins are not used, then AN8 bolts should be used, and a straight reamer used to provide a tight fit for the bolts.
20230327_185448.jpg

My plans say 1/2" holes in 8 locations.

The two holes I have done are the bottom two on the middle plate. I'm wondering if I can weld a strip of 1/8" plate on the front and rear plates and drill the 1/4" holes?

These plans came direct from Sonex...

It looks like Sonex tried to clean up the original drawings some, and made a mistake. Those should be 1/4” holes. You should contact them and have them correct the drawings. Your fix should work if you’ve only drilled the plate and not the tube. Or you could weld up the holes, grind flush, and redrill.

It looks like Sonex tried to clean up the original drawings some, and made a mistake. Those should be 1/4” holes. You should contact them and have them correct the drawings. Your fix should work if you’ve only drilled the plate and not the tube. Or you could weld up the holes, grind flush, and redrill.
Well, that's unfortunate, I've through drilled those bottom 2 holes on the middle plate, through the entire assembly.

When I drew the layout for everything on the front sheet, I realized if I followed the dimensions for where 1/2" bolts were located in the tubes they would have caught the wall so I moved them 1/16" away from the edge they would have cut in to...

I guess I'm buying some more materials and re-doing the carry through. Hopefully our new hydraulic shear at work gets set up soon.

I'll call Sonex today, let them know and see if they have a suggestion.

Well, that's unfortunate, I've through drilled those bottom 2 holes on the middle plate, through the entire assembly.

When I drew the layout for everything on the front sheet, I realized if I followed the dimensions for where 1/2" bolts were located in the tubes they would have caught the wall so I moved them 1/16" away from the edge they would have cut in to...

I guess I'm buying some more materials and re-doing the carry through. Hopefully our new hydraulic shear at work gets set up soon.

Weld in some 1/2" tube as a sleeve.

Checked my 2L plans, no 1/2” holes called out anywhere

Checked my 2L plans, no 1/2” holes called out anywhere
I received an email from Sonex after sending them a picture of the page.
It does not match their plans apparently either.

Somehow I got this rogue set of plans. It's not making much sense.

Back