• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

2022 Flight Time Totals

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kennyw

2nd and current "Caretaker" N994SP
Supporting Member
Just totaling up the logbook tonight. Thought I'd share some fun facts:

Total 2022 flight hours all aircraft: 110.8
Total 2022 flight hours in 994SP: 71.1

994SP TTAF: 1,044.4
994SP Total Time since I purchased it in October, 2017: 445.6

Since 2017 I've made the following repairs/modifications:

-Re lined the brakes twice, the first time was right after I bought it.
-Replaced a failed TinyTach.
-Removed and reinstalled the engine in order to pull the accessory case and replace a worn mag drive.
-Replaced tail wheel spring and cracked tailwheel assembly with an API spring and tailwheel assembly
-Installed an alt fail/over voltage indicator and removed (heavy) analog voltmeter.
-Installed MGL G-meter in hole vacated by old voltmeter.
-500 hr IRAN on magneto (done by Aircraft Magneto Service).

Just starting this year's condition inspection. I did a warm compression check today and found 1-3 cylinders holding compression better than 78/80. Cylinder #4 is holding 60/80 with audible hiss in intake. Its always been lower than the other cylinders. But, this time is the worst. I'm gonna fly it and check it again. But, the engine is still running strong and not burning any oil. So I'm not inclined to start yanking things off it.

As part of this year's condition inspection, I'll be installing an MGL CHT indicator with K-type spark plug thermocouples on all 4 cylinders.

52595615023_96d831db25_c.jpg

Last edited:
Over a hundred hours a year? I'm very jealous. How did you know your mag drive was worn before pulling the case? I replaced mine a while back but the case was already off and I could see the drive was worn.

Ed
TT zero for 2022

Over a hundred hours a year? I'm very jealous. How did you know your mag drive was worn before pulling the case? I replaced mine a while back but the case was already off and I could see the drive was worn.

Ed
TT zero for 2022

Hi Ed, the first condition inspection I did, I pulled the magneto off and the phenolic mag drive coupler had some damage to it. I was able to stick my hand into the mad drive hole of the accessory case and feel that one of the lugs on the mag drive was also damaged.

48580597337_bc7246a607_c.jpg

That looks the same as mine did. I wonder if there's a way to detect it without removing the engine from the airframe? I also wonder whether there isn't a better material than phenolic.

Thanks for your post. It's good incentive for me to keep working.

Back