• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

2180 or 2276 - performance comparison

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mainair

Greetings everyone,

Can you guys assist me in my choice of engine for a IILS? Which performs the best from take-off through to aerobatics - keeping reliabilty foremost?

This is my first question to the site, I have enjoyed reading the posted comments from you guys and have learnt a lot.

A friend who started building a Sonerai IILS several years ago, has always said I should build one. I did not take him seriously UNTILL... a month ago he took me for a flight in his new gleaming red IILS!!

Within minutes I was taken by the aircraft's handling & performance. One aircraft I owned (pre-marriage) was a Pitts S1E and believe it or not there are similarities between the two aircraft. Hence my strong desire for selecting the best performer of the 2180 aero vee & 2276.

Cheers John

Hi John,

If you thought the performance of your friends Sonerai with two on board was great, just imagine how it performs with just the pilot!

What engine does your friend's Sonerai have?

I've only built one VW aero engine so I can't offer you much in the way of comparisons. I can say though that my Great Plains 2180cc has been a good engine. I like the Great Plains setup with the hefty Force One hub and main bearing.

-Scott

Hi Scott

My friend's IILS has a 2200 Jabiru. Two up the rate of climb was 1000 fpm and at 2850 rpm we were cruising at 125 kts.

I'm sure he won't mind if i put a couple of pics with this note.

cheers John

Hi John,
take the Greatplains engine, I think, the ForceOne prop hub is the better choice as the AeroVee.
regards
Juergen

Mainair said:
My friend's IILS has a 2200 Jabiru. Two up the rate of climb was 1000 fpm and at 2850 rpm we were cruising at 125 kts.

You'll likely not see this kind of performance from a VW. The Jab weighs a mere 132 lbs (with starter, carb and exhaust) and produces 85 hp. A 2180 VW weighs 35 pounds more and produces less hp. The VW "charm" lies in its price -- at least here in the U.S.

-Scott

Build a 2387. No major difference in price between the 2180 and the 2387 (94mm x 86mm). There's no replacement for displacement the old saying goes.

My heavy IILS flew quite well on a 2332. Performance numbers are listed in several posts here on the 'net.

Chad

Nice looking plane, with the jabiru's normally the sonerai ends up with a slightly elongated nose to account for CG (the 35lb scott was talking about) this one doesn't look like it has that (looks almost like a standard cowl), do you know what your friend did to resolve this?

Chad's plane even looked similar to this Aussie beauty. Noting the checkerboard and red and white scheme. I may have to steal the flame pattern off the nose, I had been playing with such an idea for awhile. My departed friend Bernard Flood from downunder also echoed that the jabiru was cheaper there vs. USA. He was charmed by the Mazda rotory and building a 2/3 scale P51 Mustang to be powered by a 2 rotor. That plane remains unfinished looking for a home. He was in Queensland.
-Pete

Back