• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

2L 2135 vw Ontario

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lionel neels

Hi Have a Sonerai 2L with a rebuilt VW 2135, dual spark, aeroinjector.
Re did the interior, dash panel.
Amateur built, 1996
Almost ready for paint and engine first run.
will post more...

Attachments

• IMG-0328.jpg
    IMG-0328.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 48
  • IMG-0349.jpg
    IMG-0349.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 51
  • IMG-0367.jpg
    IMG-0367.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 54
  • IMG-0531.jpg
    IMG-0531.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 62
  • IMG-9521.jpg
    IMG-9521.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 60
Where in Ontario are you?

I have yet to see any Sonerai in person and would love a chance to come out and check one out the next time I'm back home.

You are both welcome to Windsor anytime if you want to see an S1. There's another S1 in Chatham but he's not on this forum.

I'm currently building a 2LS... Build is on pause as I re-build my garage which should be finished shortly.

I grew up in Simcoe, and by sheer luck and circumstances I was introduced to Lauren and T.J. of Bush hawk creek and spent a few summers at the house at the end of the runway. Around 1998 I did my ultralight ground school in Tillsonburg.

I'm posted in NB, but I'll be headed home sometime in early October, and should be making a stop at aircraft spruce for my fuselage tubing.

Hi, Ok cool story... Don't go to spruce before talking to me, I know few companies around London that offer aircraft grades parts much cheaper then Spruce! trust me, i build planes for years and I spent my time to source a lot of aircraft parts for good prices. I am not cheap but I don't want to pay crazy money for stuff that are cheaper somewhere else, lol

I'll just be getting my tubing their since I can trust them to be using quality 4130. Otherwise I'd just get it out here in NB from the shop we get our 2024 and 6061 from. I work on the military version of the bell 412 as a structures tech.

Ho Ok, cool job! I was an air traffic controller for NATO from 2001 to 2017 in Europe. I moved in Canada 4 years ago and I own G1-America. I build and import the G1 STOL from France. You can can thrust spruce for the quality but prices are crazy there! Before you go there, visit VR3 in St Marys (north of London ON), they do aircraft engine mounts for Diamond Aircraft and Bombardier. They have all the aircraft grade tubes for 1/3 cheaper because they buy buy 1,000 and 1,000 tubes... They also CNC notch all tubes. I make all of my engine mounts with their tubes notched and never had a single issue. cheers

Ho Ok, cool job! I was an air traffic controller for NATO from 2001 to 2017 in Europe. I moved in Canada 4 years ago and I own G1-America.
Any chance you know a good source for 4130 tubing in EU also? Seems like the chiepest option is to order it from aircraftspruce in US. You can also buy tubing at aircraftspruce.eu but it is more or less the same price even when the delivery and customs charges are added.

Hi, call G1Aviation France, they know where to get cheap steel tube in France! The main cabin is made of 4130 aircraft grade steel.

For some reason I didn't know VR3 was located in Ontario. They can cut a tube kit for the Sonerai I but it doesn't look like they have one for the II.

But, I'll give them a call to see if they can supply my tubing. I'd like to be able to sit in my fuselage and make engine noises by later winter/early spring.

yep, they don't have the Sonerai 2 unfortunatly! But if you give them the drawings, they can reverse engineering for you...

1) Fuselage tube set – Sonerai I
VR3 dwg no 39071
Aprox 158 pieces / 50 lbs
Price $ 3600 USD / $ 4860 cad

2) empennage tube set – Sonerai I
VR3 no 39071-650 rudder (qnty 1)
VR3 no 39071-620 elevator ( qnty 1)
VR3 no 39071-600 horiz stab (qnty 2)
Price: $ 1800 USD / $ 2430 cad

3) engine mount tube set - Sonerai I / UL engine
VR3 no 39071-850 engmt – UL engine (qnty 1)
“For Reference only “
Price: $ 300 USD / $ 405 cad

4) Shipping and handling to mainland US via commercial carrier LTL
Allow aprox 5 to 7 days for shipping.
Price: $ 300 to 400 est’d
$ no charge pickup at our shop

5) Weld Assembly: not including above tube sets:
Fuselage: $ 6000 $ USD / $ 8100 cad budget price
Empennage: $ 2000 $ USD / $ 2700 cad budget price
Additional shipping to Calif $ tbd

6) General Notes:
a) Tubing material is 4130N aircraft quality tubing
b) Tubes are ready for weld assembly ‘out of the box’.
c) All tubes are numbered and labeled.
d) The longerons are pre-formed with the dogleg bends.
e) The leading and trailing edge tubes of the empennage are formed.
f) Kit includes dimensioned assembly drawings and material list.
g) Tube kits include the tube parts only and not the flat or formed sheet pieces.

Back