• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

3/4 main gear?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flyguyeddy

I removed the main gear from N91RT and cleaned it up with some scotch brite. I measured it and discovered that its actually 3/4 thick. I found a number on it, GAC1602-24. Is this appropriate for a sonerai? This aircraft HAD an a65 on it, taildragger. It will eventually be a 2LTS with a vw engine

Is it a Grove gear? If I remember correctly, Grove made a 3/4” thick gear that was 4” or 5” wide where it attached to the fuselage. The standard Sonerai gear is now 5/8” thick and 6” wide at the fuselage.

It very well could be. It is definitely NOT 6” wide at the top. I shall consult the internet archive and see if what i have can be found in old copies of the grove website

Their current website doesnt list things they USED to sell.
It shows the CURRENT Sonerai gear you can buy right now and the dimensions. The Sonerai II gear listed is 3/4" thick and 5" wide. Other dimensions are listed as well.

My gear doesnt have the same part number stamped on it as what they have listed now.

My point is to measure it and if the dimensions are close enough to what they have for the Sonerai you will know if you can use it. Who cares what is stamped in the side.

So... the landing gear for a Sonerai II Stretch per O'Keefe Aero which match what is in the plans is $525 and the Sonerai II gear at Grove which are not the same dimensions as what are in the plans is $1779. Think I'll be going with O'Keefe.

Back