• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

30 Years!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soneraifred

Supporting Member
Today I celebrated the 30th anniversary of the first flight of my Sonerai IIL, N99FK. I flew her from my home base of Burlington, WI (KBUU) to Kenosha, WI (KENW) where the first flight took place late in the afternoon of Sunday, June 8, 1986. The weather was beautiful, and the flight was uneventful, unlike the first flight which ended in a farmer's field next to the airport due to the canopy coming open about two minutes into the flight. The airplane now has 1463 hours on the Hobbs. She now has a 2180 (originally an 1850), the 5/8" gear, and a different paint scheme. There's been four different props, four different sets of brakes, two different comm radios, a loran, and three different GPS's. But she's still a hoot to fly, and I hope to keep flying her for quite a while.

Attachments

• Sonerai 30th 6-8-16 005.jpg
    Sonerai 30th 6-8-16 005.jpg
    684 KB · Views: 73
  • Sonerai 30th 6-8-16 007.jpg
    Sonerai 30th 6-8-16 007.jpg
    408.4 KB · Views: 86
Congrats Fred, you and your plane are definitely an inspiration to many, if not all of us! Thank you for keeping the Sonerai alive!

Testimony of both a great design and your ability to build/modify/maintain….Congrats!

Great accomplishment, and thanks for all the help on my project. More comment on the props and 2180

Congrats Fred.

Is your plane the longest flying sonerai? There are a lot of sonerai' but how many with 30yrs of continuous operation? I think my sonerai was first flown in 78 and flown to oshkosh in 79.

Smoothmat…Very good question. There are 'older' Sonerais out there flying, but maybe none 'continuously' for 30 years….

Not to take away from Fred's wonderful achievement but to answer Ed's query.

My buddy Jim Carlisle down here southwest of Ft. Worth has been flying his Sonerai-I, N89JC continuously for 41 years and has about 1400 hours on it. He has never split the case. I think he has only done a little cylinder and head work in all those years. He is still flying it sporadically well into his 70's. It is turnkey today.

Kevin

Kevin, that is amazing…Especially the fact that the case has never been split. It shows the usefulness of the design, and the engine…And that your friends initial investment to build a Sonerai was 'paid for' so to speak, decades ago….

O'Bill.....The kitplanes support list has several errors and outdates in addition to the one about Fred....In today's information society, you would think things would be up to date.....

I didn't get in here and say Congrats yet. As the Hee Haw crowd said, "Saluuuuuu" . You are an inspiration Fred and Christine promises me that I will get another trip to OSH before she puts me out to pasture. ;D

Soneraifred said:
Today I celebrated the 30th anniversary of the first flight of my Sonerai IIL, N99FK. I flew her from my home base of Burlington, WI (KBUU) to Kenosha, WI (KENW) where the first flight took place late in the afternoon of Sunday, June 8, 1986. The weather was beautiful, and the flight was uneventful, unlike the first flight which ended in a farmer's field next to the airport due to the canopy coming open about two minutes into the flight. The airplane now has 1463 hours on the Hobbs. She now has a 2180 (originally an 1850), the 5/8" gear, and a different paint scheme. There's been four different props, four different sets of brakes, two different comm radios, a loran, and three different GPS's. But she's still a hoot to fly, and I hope to keep flying her for quite a while.

Wow, congrats Fred!
I was still EXP aircraft dreaming in 86' and you were already flying!
Thanks to your encouragement I am enjoying a new type EXP airplane (for me) and enjoying "tinkering" again.
V/R
Smokey

Back