• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm going on a road trip to get 4130.

I saw a material list for the wings. Did I miss a list someplace for the fuse?

Something like: 180 ft of 5/8 x .035 and 40 ft of 3/8 x whatever, etc.

or do I need to sit down and figure out a good guess and plan on going back

for more later. Thank.

There is a material list in the plans, at least for the stretch, but I wouldn't trust it. You're safer to go through the drawings and verify the list. I would plan on at least two road trips.

Ed

There is a material list in the plans, at least for the stretch, but I wouldn't trust it. You're safer to go through the drawings and verify the list. I would plan on at least two road trips.

Ed
Thank you. I can't find a list, so I'll take your optimistic advice. Only two trips, I should be so lucky. Thanks again

Since Dillsburg closed a few years ago (my favorite materials road trip :) )
Is there a preferred or optimum source for 4130 seamless tube?

Thanks!
smt

Since Dillsburg closed a few years ago (my favorite materials road trip :) )
Is there a preferred or optimum source for 4130 seamless tube?

Thanks!
smt

Aircraft Spruce is 160 miles from you. If you don't have a good relationship with known chromoly supplier, at least get your 4130 from a known aircraft parts supplier.

I just saw the AD on the Univair rudder posts for the PA-12. Turned out not to be 4130; not good!

For builders in the mid west, Wicks Aircraft Supply is a good source. They sometimes have promotions that save up to 15%.

4130 list

Attachments

• 20220210_130907.jpg
    20220210_130907.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 35
1. Wicks bought Dillsburg's stock.when they closed.
2. Verify whatever 4130 you buy is not Chinese. Preferably sourced from the US or Germany. Chinese "4130" does not oxyfuel weld like real 4130 at all. The story goes that Wicks bought Dillsburg's stock because they were getting so many complaints from builders trying to work with the Chinese-sourced steel they (Wicks) were selling around that time frame. Almost all of Dillsburg's steel stock was manufactured by Reynolds in the US, so problem solved.
3. Most 40s-era Piper steel tube fuselages were 1020 to begin with so it's possible Univair has been in compliance with original spec all along. Unless their part is not 1020 either...
Just FYI, best that I can recall.

The NTSB is recommending replacement of the Piper rudders because they were made from AISI 1025 steel from the factory. NTSB is recommending that the FAA issue an AD to replace the rudder post with one of 4130 but the use of 1025 for the rudder post is in accordance with the original design. The breaks that were investigated were fatigue fractures and you have to remember that those airplanes were not envisioned to have 75+ year lifespans like some of them are seeing. 4130 has about 50% more fatigue resistance which is why NTSB is recommending the replacement.

Aircraft Spruce is 160 miles from you.

Cool! I had not realized they were expanding, and had regional locations.
Actually maybe 15 - 20 mi closer than Mr Vogelsongs old location, which was a few miles south of Harrisburg.
I used to travel that road quite a bit for work in DC. Thanks!

The NTSB is recommending replacement of the Piper rudders because they were made from AISI 1025 steel from the factory. NTSB is recommending that the FAA issue an AD to replace the rudder post with one of 4130 but the use of 1025 for the rudder post is in accordance with the original design. The breaks that were investigated were fatigue fractures and you have to remember that those airplanes were not envisioned to have 75+ year lifespans like some of them are seeing.

Drat!
Ours is a '39.
Will ask the guys to pay special attention at annual this coming month.

Back