• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

70% lighter battery

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sounds like a possibly good find. How much will that 4 lbs cost you? Let us know how this works out for you. I am looking for a good battery option.
Skip

I'm all for lighter, but be mindful of what happens to lithium based batteries when they are subject to charge or discharge loads outside their design parameters. Over charging and over discharging have less than desireable results.

Spontaneous combustion is never a good thing, even less so in an airplane.

Not saying these aren't good batteries, simply pointing out that litium technology isn't nearly as robust (yet) as lead acid or gel cell/non spillable type batteries.

I've seen several lithium polimer batteries go up in flames. Starts out with smoke, then more smoke, then a lot more smoke followed by fire.

Chad

These are Lithium Nano-Phosphate cells. Just about impossible to get them to combust like Lithium-Ion or Lithium-Polymer cells. Although their capacity does degrade very quickly with extreme charge/discharge rates or levels.

The batteries are made with a lithium iron phosphate, which does not explode like lithium polymers. It can even be charged by a regular 12v car battery charger. It's a drop in replacement for lead acid requiring no modification to the electrical system. It also has twice the life of a lead acid battery, can be mounted upside, and has no fluids. Its actually more robust then lead acid.

Just checkin in on this thread. I am interested in battery options. Must replace 12 volt lead acid. Don't like the corrosion potential. No starter, just secondary, basic instruments (except turn n bank w gyro), hand held, and intercom.

Suggestions, theories welcome.

Skip

skip,

Got the battery and installed it, it works. Not a whole lot else to comment on really. you don't need a special charger or anything funky the battery will charge from the alternator just fine

Skip,
I went another way, used 2X 18ah sealed lead acid batteries from Power Battery.
The electrolyte is acid but it is all held in membrane. You can take a screwdriver and punch it right through the battery at any point and no fluid comes out.
I paid $70 each for the batteries, which have operated in parallel for 5 years. I believe they have earned their cost but will use them til they won't start the engine.
My engine is the J2200a. I need 300 rpm for the coils to produce starting voltage. So far so good.
Thus all the fears about voltage fights between the batteries in parallel, turned out to be just that, fears that never materialized.
Bill Evans

oahupilot said:
skip,

Got the battery and installed it, it works. Not a whole lot else to comment on really. you don't need a special charger or anything funky the battery will charge from the alternator just fine
OahuPilot, could we get some specifics? Which of the batteries this company sells did you buy? What is the setup of your plane again that draws on your battery? What alternater do you have to charge? (auto/revmaster/aerovee). Thanks it will help make a better file page for the "to do list" file.
-Pete

Pete

I have the GPAS/diehl alternator with a 12v rectifier hooked in to the master switch then out to the battery positive terminal, battery is grounded to the frame. Electrical draw includes the starter, radio, microair solid state transponder, altitude encoder, LED nav/pos/strobe lights, Grand rapids efis, secondary electrical coil ignition system (gpas), panel mount power for enc david clark, and electric turn and slip coordinator. Looking to add LED landing lights in the future and FLIR ::).

the battery is an lfx18a1-bs12 it weighs about 2.19 pounds or .997 kg

Sounds impressive, Oahu. Do you use a maintaining charge while away.
Currently, I do not have alt. or starter. I had thought about 2, 12v motorcycle batteries, maintaining similar weight and adding a back-up. My ELT is on a separate, small 12v Ld acid.

Bill, your setup sounds inviting, as well.

Thanks
Skip

Skip,

No maintenance charge is used, the battery only needs to supply power below 800 rpm, after which the alternator takes over. The battery is rated for 18 amp hours so it can deliver 18 amps for an hour or 1 amp for 18 hours.

Tom
In keeping with the light weight design of the plane I prefer a m134d-t. ;D You can send me one for the 4th of July if you would like.

Dang, I just mounted my last two on the Skylite's struts. Good choice though.
:eek:

Tom

Ok, well, I checked out the Shoraipower sight and I am hoping that the name Lithium-Iron Power Sports Battery is a name and not them misprinting Lithium-Ion. That's not a mistake a reputable company would make.

And HOLY COW! :eek: 187 bucks!!?? It better be good!

Just thinkin..........again.... ???

Bill,
What kind of weight are your 2 sealed ld acid batts sportin? And are these what they call gell cells?

Learnin.. :p

yeah I did not order direct from the Shorai but from a motor cycle parts dealer they had them on sale for 160. The battery is over sized for my current motor but the extra capacity will come in handy as a back up for my next motor which has a high pressure fuel pumps, ecu, injection, and lots of electronics on board.

Back