• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

A sad day!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pttim

It is with a heavy heart I have to say n340h (Tom Mitchell) has gone West. Tom passed away suddenly of a heart attack.
I know Tom was still actively building his 2LS and was on the home stretch! We spoke weekly on the phone for hours at a time. A true gentleman, father & grandfather and one hell of a craftsman and friend. I never personally got a chance to meet Tom and I am deeply saddened by this news.

Blue Sky's and calm winds Tom.

Oh, I am sorry to hear this....Just spoke with him two weeks ago......We mostly talked about his Skylite, his Sonerai, and his Dog.....He was a good Sonerai proponent, and a friend. I am saddened. He recently machined a prop extension for my #14 Sonerai, I will be putting his name on the fuselage side in a list of helpers that have helped me on that project. Have a good trip west, Tom.........................

Very sorry to hear this news. Just from seeing his posts on this forum he seemed like craftsman, an innovator and a gentleman.

This was very sad news to me. Tom was a great friend and a generous soul. He has machined high quality parts for so many builders, most likely at a personal loss. His love of family was immediately evident to anyone that spoke with him. He was always available to talk for hours about airplanes, his dogs and grandkids.
You will sorely missed Tom.

I only knew Tom through his postings on this site and several emails but even still his first class character shone through. It's a terrible shame that he wasn't able to enjoy a long retirement. Watch over us from the Big Sonerai, Tom.

Ed

I corresponded with Tom a few times he seemed to be a great guy. We shared interests in experimental aircraft, aviation, and USPSA competitions, my other time consuming, wallet draining hobby! Tom freely shared with me some of his machining skills and info about carbon fiber layups. He will be missed. By looking at his gallery he was a true craftsman, I could only hope to someday be that good. After reading these posts it's obvious he was a great Sonerai community contributor!

Also Sad :'( I had sold Tom a pair of SU carbs which he repaired to use. I was very much looking forward in my retirement to visiting all my Sonerai friends in the North country. Please hang in there guys I want to see as many of you as I can before 2020. -Pete

Addition: I had forgotten Tom supplied many of us with free carbon-fibre. Looking at his gallery I was stunned with his instrument panel creation. Tom you are a master.

Attachments

• normal_IMG_20170906_134557369.jpg
    normal_IMG_20170906_134557369.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 61
Back