• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Aerovee 1850 electric start?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J. Metcalfe

Are there any bolt-on ways to add electric start to my Sonerai IIL? I'm not the biggest fan of hand propping, and I'm looking into adding a radio, transponder, and iPad so I will be doing some extra wiring anyway. Have any of you done this? I'll be making a center console where the passenger seat goes, and making that my dash. Thanks!

It all depends on what your engine has now. You will need an accessory case, flywheel and starter if your airplane doesn't already have them and they will have to match your engine mounting arrangement. Some different brands of accessory cases had different mount spacing to the firewall. If you can take a picture of your existing mount/accessory case, that would help figure it out. You said "AeroVee" in the subject but I don't want to assume that is really what the engine mount is.

If your airplane has the original Monnett mounting pattern, and you have the Electro-X Mount on the back of the engine, I would suggest that you talk to Scott Casler at Hummel Engines. He can make an adapter that replaces the Electro-X that provides a starter and alternator. He’s done it for other Sonerai owners.

Last edited:
Scott C. at Hummel Engines machined an excellent set up to add a starter to my 2L as well...it all lined up perfectly but I did have to also have him make a new air induction manifold as well. You will have to cutout the firewall to fit the starter at bottom 6-o-clock position. Your (x4) eng. bolt spacer 'spools' will have to be machined down to precise length to return the engine to original position to still fit inside upper and lower cowlings. Measure over and over again to verify...THEN; "cut-only-once". It's actually NOT a "quick little job"...there are lots of small details to address, but at the end its' all WELL WORTH IT...if ya don't like hand propping. I HATED it! There is a bit of chasing-the-tail syndrome involved in this modification...but not too much...and in the end...sitting comfortably and simply turning a key to start your bird will put a smile on your face everytime! Go for it!

Attachments

• eng plate top R.jpg
    eng plate top R.jpg
    771.5 KB · Views: 63
  • firewall 3.jpg
    firewall 3.jpg
    858.3 KB · Views: 67
  • new intake1.jpg
    new intake1.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 64
  • intake blueprt.jpg
    intake blueprt.jpg
    803.3 KB · Views: 59
Thanks for the information! I may not get that far on it. The original builder apparently wants to get it back, but we'll see what happens.

I have a Limbach SL1700EA with electric start and an alternator. Would make a nice engine and has original German parts quality. With Zenith Carb and exhaust for a Scheibe SF-25. This has a genuine Limbach prop hub and a flywheel with starter ring gear similar to a Lycoming.
Needs cylinders honed or replaced due to being "stuck" and a rust ring stopping full rotation.
Has single port and single ignition original heads that you cannot buy today with the original German quality.
Also has Slick magneto rear mounted (single ignition, shielded).
Why buy Brazilian when you can geet German?

Back