• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Aerovee

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

welderr

It will be interesting to see if Sonex comes up with a firewall forward kit to use the Aero Conversions 2180 in the Sonerai maybe a cowling redesign to use their hub and and a new design on the front of the fuselage that clears the starter and possibly a spinner similar to the Sonex. Time will tell but I have high hopes that that this will be a good thing. I am sure John has some things up his sleeve that he has been thinking about trying over the years . TJ

I've been thinking the S-1 would be the ultimate 'cheap-old-geezer' toy. With 80hp on the front and the right prop, no starter, minimal electrical, and no extras, it'd be a lot of fun!

I like the looks of the S-1 but you would have to build it around me to get my shoulders in:) TJ

I've been thinking the S-1 would be the ultimate 'cheap-old-geezer' toy. With 80hp on the front and the right prop, no starter, minimal electrical, and no extras, it'd be a lot of fun!

Given my corpulency, I was thinking S2(maybe S2S) configured as a single but no electrical other than hand-helds

It will be interesting to see if Sonex comes up with a firewall forward kit to use the Aero Conversions 2180 in the Sonerai maybe a cowling redesign to use their hub and and a new design on the front of the fuselage that clears the starter and possibly a spinner similar to the Sonex. Time will tell but I have high hopes that that this will be a good thing. I am sure John has some things up his sleeve that he has been thinking about trying over the years . TJ
Actually we are working on updating the plans with details for mounting an AeroVee. The installation has been done and proven more than 10 years ago by Drew Waterworth. (full electrical system including starter). Stay tuned (sonexaircraft.com) in the coming weeks as we get Sonerai up and running again.

Actually we are working on updating the plans with details for mounting an AeroVee. The installation has been done and proven more than 10 years ago by Drew Waterworth. (full electrical system including starter). Stay tuned (sonexaircraft.com) in the coming weeks as we get Sonerai up and running again.

I have a set of the original plans. What do you think the target price would be for the updated plans?

As a Sonex plans holder, and new S-IIL owner, this makes me so happy! I can't wait to see what the future brings for these awesome machines. Hopefully I'll have mine parked next to Fred's at AV 2020!

I remember Drew's aircraft it was a looker, good to know that you're involved with the Sonerai again Sir, I'm excited for the future of it, I fell in love with the design in Peter Garrison's Home built Air Planes book when I was a kid building 1/2-A control liners in our local 4-H model airplane club and my enthusiasm for it hasn't wavered. I am finally in a position in life where I should be able to build in the very near future. Thanks TJ

I remember Drew's aircraft it was a looker, good to know that you're involved with the Sonerai again Sir, I'm excited for the future of it, I fell in love with the design in Peter Garrison's Home built Air Planes book when I was a kid building 1/2-A control liners in our local 4-H model airplane club and my enthusiasm for it hasn't wavered. I am finally in a position in life where I should be able to build in the very near future. Thanks TJ
I’ve got that book as well and it has fueled my passion for years!

The Sport Aviation articles state for both the low wing s2 and the s2lt that the drawings for the s1 low wing and s1 tri gear were at one time available. I have not been able to locate such things, but i have found evidence of at least 4 low wing sonerai’s that have been built. Have not yet seen a low wing tri-gear s1. Would be a cool little plane

The Sport Aviation articles state for both the low wing s2 and the s2lt that the drawings for the s1 low wing and s1 tri gear were at one time available. I have not been able to locate such things, but i have found evidence of at least 4 low wing sonerai’s that have been built. Have not yet seen a low wing tri-gear s1. Would be a cool little plane
Off topic, sorry.

Gary-

That's a beautiful plane you built and you have a very nice website documenting your build. Why haven't you gotten the AW for it? Still working on the PPL? It would be light sport classification.

Given my corpulency, I was thinking S2(maybe S2S) configured as a single but no electrical other than hand-helds

4SP has a 20amp alternator that keeps a small battery charged up. I have a Facet fuel pump and a couple of instruments to run (Hobbs, Gmeter), and a cigarette lighter outlet to power my handheld.

Instead of a full size flywheel with starter ring gear, it just has a small flange to mount the mag drive hub and commutator ring to. The stator ring is mounted inside a cut down Diehl accessory case. I say cut down, because someone (I think SmokeyRay) cut the extra material from the bottom of the accessory case (starter mount) off, presumably as a weight measure. Probably a couple of pounds of cast aluminum. Every little bit helps!

I meant to weigh the engine package while I had it off. But, completely forgot about it once I had all the parts in hand to put it back together.

The Aerovee 80hp advertises 185lbs full up. I'd love to see what we could get the weight down to without a starter and ring gear.

I'm considering an engine change and would be grateful for information from current VW engine users.

Does anyone have any data on the life or common failures of Great Planes or AeroVee 2180 engines?

Areas of concern are cracking of the crankshaft and crankcase.

If you have had a failure of these engines, would you please let me know how many hours the engine had run and what failed?

If yours is running well, how many hours has it done?

Bill

I'm considering an engine change and would be grateful for information from current VW engine users.

Does anyone have any data on the life or common failures of Great Planes or AeroVee 2180 engines?

Areas of concern are cracking of the crankshaft and crankcase.

If you have had a failure of these engines, would you please let me know how many hours the engine had run and what failed?

If yours is running well, how many hours has it done?

Bill

I'm sure some of the more experienced folks will chip in . But, here's a couple of links I've found useful:

https://www.sonerai.net/threads/how-realiable-is-reliable-the-vw-engine.646/
http://eaaforums.org/showthread.php?5719-VW-engine-reliability-or-issues
You have to did through Bob Hoover's Blogspot account to find real nuggets on VW mods, tips, and tricks. But, they're there!

http://bobhooversblog.blogspot.com/2009/10/

Also, look for this book. If you can find it, its a collectable, as well as having a ton of good info:
How to Build A Reliable Volks (VW) Aero Engine: Rex Taylor ...

I've got nearly 400 hours on a balanced and blue printed 1835cc that runs like a swiss watch.

Ken

The rex taylor book is available new through viking aircraft (sellers of cygnet plans)

I am finishing my 2LTS.

Attachments

• i0000010_16.jpg
    i0000010_16.jpg
    932.3 KB · Views: 119
Back