• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Alternative engine

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There have been a few Sonerai II’s built with Corvairs. I am not aware of any with the Viking or AeroMomentum. One of the Corvair Sonerai II’s was converted back to a 2180 VW. The real issue with these alternatives is weight. Ideally, the firewall forward weight on a Sonerai II should be less than 185 lbs. That’s engine complete with exhaust, fuel system, ignition, and cooling system. Corvairs are over 200 lbs. I don’t know about the other two.

I've been considering the Aeromomentum for either the Corvair-engined or Subi-engined Sonerai I have sitting in the hangar. Here are the specs on the 85 hp AM10, which are better than a 582. Pricing includes engine, gearbox, starter, alternator, ECU, wiring, mounting ears. It has full FADEC and at cruise burns less than 3 g/hr. (The full monty Corvair from Corvair college is about $12k and 50% heavier.) Add about $4,000 for FWF not including the prop ($1,200 + Nose cone). Apparently, it's being put in Sonex. You can bump up to 100hp low profile AM13 for $2,000, but weight is another 30#. That would be worth it for me. I could stand to lose 30#. Performance would be similar to a 912 for ~$10k less. So, cruise ~150? I believe Viking is made with a used engine. On the other hand, a used and flying Sonerai goes for about the engine cost. But, it is experimental, right? And big-screen TVs are really down in price. :) https://aeromomentum.com/am13.html

AM10(Upright)Rotax 582
Horsepower85@6000
(2318prop)
64@6500
Weight(lbs)139113
HP/lb0.5390.56
Displacement1000cc580cc
Bore X Stroke71x84mm76x64
Valveing12V DOHC2 Stroke
CoolingLiquidLiquid
Compression11:15.75:1
Fuel DeliveryFuel InjectionDual Carbs
TBO1500hours300hours
Typical Price$8,495$9,467

I changed over from the jabiru 2200 at 80 hp to Jabiru 3300 at 127 hp. It's fairly breathtaking and gets up to 180kts at 3300rpm. Wonderful to fly at that speed.
One advantage is that unlike 70-80hp engines, if the rpm should fall say to 2400 or even 2000 rpm, you can still fly it normally, maybe not 1500 fpm climb, but it climbs and flies. Small RPM losses are not uncommon. Bill E

There have been a few Sonerai II’s built with Corvairs. I am not aware of any with the Viking or AeroMomentum. One of the Corvair Sonerai II’s was converted back to a 2180 VW. The real issue with these alternatives is weight. Ideally, the firewall forward weight on a Sonerai II should be less than 185 lbs. That’s engine complete with exhaust, fuel system, ignition, and cooling system. Corvairs are over 200 lbs. I don’t know about the other two.

I am in the process of installing a Rotax 912 (95hp Xtra kit). The aircraft is being fully restored at the moment and somewhat modernized (glass instruments, etc.)

It will take a few months before it is completed, but I will report once done...

This is what I would like to have in a Sonerai 165HP FI two stroke. 92lbs. Oil injection tank might be a design point but worth it.

https://www.rotax.com/en/products/rotax-powertrains/details/rotax-850-e-tec.html

You will need a reduction gear system for a snowmobile 2-stroke engine. They produce max HP around 7500 to over 8000 RPM. The oil tank is not a big deal for the oil injection. I see the biggest issue is designing the expansion exhaust for the RPM you want and make that to fit. Making an expansion exhaust with all the cones and welding them together would be a pain. They do have software for 2-stroke exhaust design to help though.

I changed over from the jabiru 2200 at 80 hp to Jabiru 3300 at 127 hp. It's fairly breathtaking and gets up to 180kts at 3300rpm. Wonderful to fly at that speed.
One advantage is that unlike 70-80hp engines, if the rpm should fall say to 2400 or even 2000 rpm, you can still fly it normally, maybe not 1500 fpm climb, but it climbs and flies. Small RPM losses are not uncommon. Bill E
What Sonerai are you flying? What is the weight of the Jabiru 3300?

Back