• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Aluminum alloy for mains

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flyguyeddy

I can only seem to find 6061-t6511 in the size needed to make the landing gear. Would that be ok to use?

I think you would need to upsize the stock to get an equivalent strength if you switch to 6061. Then there is the question of fatigue, you'd want to make sure it can handle the same amount of cyclical loading as the 2024. May take a little engineering.

Online metals has it in 3/4" thick x 6" x 72" for $309.xx
They only have 5/8" up to 2" wide. But i do think i'd call and see if they could order the wider material in that thickness.

However, noting in online sources that 3/4" thick is the default raises the question: If a person were to dog it down on a planer and reduce the thickness, (then polish out as per normal anyway) would there be any issues with strength characteristics or fatigue properties? I understand the heat treatment in a through process, the material should be homogenous. But some (rolled or extruded) materials do perform differently when the "skin" is taken off. Considering that i sometimes machine 2024 T3 "all over", is that a factor or not?

1/2" x 6" x 72" is shown. for $302.xx
Has anyone explored making the gear wider at that thickness?

& finally, 1/2" gear was original. If the airplane will be flown only at the original 925lbs gross, there is a small weight savings.

smt

PS - Oh drat - I started thinking too hard. I'm only semi-serious, but this is seriously do-able: If a person were to start with a 3/4" or 1" thick bar, dogged down on the planer, it would be possible to plane the shape streamlined before bending. Someone else would have to figure out the sections for strenght, and how the airfoil shape would change airplane performance. :eek: :-\

I bought my Sonerai I gear recently from Linda at O’Keefe Aero, it wasn’t $1600.

Phil

Back