• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

aluminum fuselage

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jack264

Does anyone know if it would be feasible to build the fuselage out of aluminum? I just like working with aluminum rather than the steel tube and fabric

Welding with aluminum will require an A/C TIG setup. Don't know the feasibility of making this work for a rag and tube aircraft vs something like a stressed monocoupe fuselage.

thanks for your input Danial. I was thinking more of a riveting verses aluminum welding. I have built a Hummelbird with this method

Oh, and I should ad one important point besides just liking to work with aluminum....I want to stick with the Soneri because I like the wing folding system. It would be great if anyone is or knows of someone that is knowledgeable in aircraft design

Last edited:
My Sonerai II with the Jabiru 2200 engine weighed 529 lbs. Therefore the useful load (1150-529) was greater than the empty weight. That's one of the things that's unique about the Sonerai Design. But if you built the fuselage as a stressed aluminum skin fabrication, your empty weight advantage is is completely lost. It might weigh 100 lbs more perhaps 150 lbs more. I doubt that you'd be able to carry a passenger or full fuel. BillE

Back