• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Aluminum protective film advice!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

craigl

Hello fellow builders , some years ago I remember reading a thread on the removal of aged and brittle plastic film on aluminium , I filed that way back in the back of my head and told myself ill have it off and finished by then.
Fast forward several years and for the life of me I cannot find the info I require,,,,,Any help a help appreciated Craig

That film should come off without too much effort. If you find that its only coming off in patches (tearing as you try to pull), just warm the area gently with a hairdryer (or low setting on a heat gun).

I had aluminum aluminum wing skins that had been stored with the clear plastic protective film left on for 15 years. It came off without much more effort than the brand new aluminum.

Thanks for your reply Kennyw , I have tried the heating but to no avail . The film has become brittle and has shrunk causing it to craze and its even split fairly evenly in long strips . I've tried applying a few different solvents to small patches but at this stage have no answers. Still looking for answers please.

Back