• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Aluminum sheet skin?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeMartin

I really like the look of polished aluminum skinned airplanes. Instead of the fabric has anyone used thin aluminum sheet? I'm not sure what the weight difference would be.

I really like the look of polished aluminum skinned airplanes. Instead of the fabric has anyone used thin aluminum sheet? I'm not sure what the weight difference would be.

Our S1L was built with aluminum skin. The only fabric is the horizontal stab, elevator and rudder. Empty weight is 570 pounds with a Jabiru 3300 which I believe is slightly heavier than most VW engines. Downsides are a lot of extra work and some oil canning on the rear fuse at high power. Looks good even though not polished.

To get the "look" that I want, the entire plane would need to skinned with aluminum. You are right, it would be a pain in the butt. I guess I'll see how I feel when I get to that stage.

Back