• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Anyone interested in a carbon fiber cowl ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chopndrag

I know a company that can make carbon fiber cowl for anything and was talking to them today. They would need a new non cut cowl for a mold and 5 buyers to produce them. I would be interested in buying one so that would leave 4 people wanting one to start producing. Let me know I'm already getting carbon fiber wheel pants they just started producing.

S1? S2?
What kind of weight saving is anticipated, compared to an original ?
Projected cost?

thanks!
smt

S1? S2?
What kind of weight saving is anticipated, compared to an original ?
Projected cost?

thanks!
smt
I have a s2 so going off that . We are figuring cost out now. Weight should be q significant loss. The wheel pants he did for 5×5 wheels with hardware are only 1.3 lbs a side. Cowl should be pretty lite compared to fiberglass.

For reference, my complete reinforced, modified Super V fiberglass cowl weighs 18 lbs. I don't know how much it weighed originally.

Attachments

• DSCF9324.JPG
    DSCF9324.JPG
    966 KB · Views: 32
For reference, my complete reinforced, modified Super V fiberglass cowl weighs 18 lbs. I don't know how much it weighed originally.
Should be lighter I'm guessing. I tig weld and fabricate and leave the composite stuff for my buddy. That's his deal it's Richard at Aviation Composites. Main thing is finding a unused cowl to make a mold from

I built a lighter glass cowl when I switched to the J3300 engine, Flat out the cowl compressed and bulged enough that I used the new on as a Mold and installed 1/8 wood strips as stiffeners longitudinally.
Vne =200 mph, 3300 rpm & 127 hp.
BillE
I have a s2 so going off that . We are figuring cost out now. Weight should be q significant loss. The wheel pants he did for 5×5 wheels with hardware are only 1.3 lbs a side. Cowl should be pretty lite compared to fiberglass.

Should be lighter I'm guessing. I tig weld and fabricate and leave the composite stuff for my buddy. That's his deal it's Richard at Aviation Composites. Main thing is finding a unused cowl to make a mold from
I have an uncut new cowl and I would be interested in a carbon fiber cowl, depending on cost?

I have an uncut new cowl and I would be interested in a carbon fiber cowl, depending on cost?
Working on the cost. I know making a mold is very expensive. The cowl shouldn't be too bad I wouldn't think. Which cowl do you have? I have seen several different versions for our planes.

I built a lighter glass cowl when I switched to the J3300 engine, Flat out the cowl compressed and bulged enough that I used the new on as a Mold and installed 1/8 wood strips as stiffeners longitudinally.
Vne =200 mph, 3300 rpm & 127 hp.
BillE
Do you have the mold ? How much different is it then the regular sonerai cowls ?

Do you have the mold ? How much different is it then the regular sonerai cowls ?
I actually have 2 versions of the S2 cowl, one is an earlier version, the front air intakes are slanted more to the rear and the exhaust on one side drops down in front of the cowl, I see why they changed . I also have the New untouched cowl , which is a later version, not sure if there is anymore. No mold but I was considering making one and vacuum forming my own carbon fiber cowl. But time is money.

I actually have 2 versions of the S2 cowl, one is an earlier version, the front air intakes are slanted more to the rear and the exhaust on one side drops down in front of the cowl, I see why they changed . I also have the New untouched cowl , which is a later version, not sure if there is anymore. No mold but I was considering making one and vacuum forming my own carbon fiber cowl. But time is money.
Can definitely have a mold made from the untouched cowl. Let me get with him about projected cost. Mold price is the real killer.

Back