• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Azusa Wheel/Tire Combo

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sonerainut

All,

I know there was a previous post about "landing on grass" where a number provided info about their tire sizes etc - I have a related question, here is some background.

I have a IILS equipped with the stock AZUSA 5" wheel and drum brakes and am using the Cheng Shin/Lamb 11.4-5 tire. During my initial taxi tests I had a wheel fail - the wheel flange broke resulting in a instant flat and tire locked around the gear leg. Just how fast can a Sonerai ground loop? Fast enough! I later found out when I bought a new set of AZUSA 5" wheels that they were limited to a max 22 PSI. Well, dummy me decided to fill the tire with at least twice that - hence the failed flange. OK, I figured I am a little smarter and have a great story, but what do I use for pressure? I wound up using about 16 PSI - any more pressure and the airplane becomes rather squirrely on pavement. So I have stuck with the 16 PSI and havent had any problems until recently.

It seems as if at the low pressures I am running the tube tends to creep inside the tire which resulted in a failed tube near the stem. Thank goodness it happened during taxi and not takeoff or landing - it went flat really fast!

So, now I sit, staring at the Spruce Catalog trying to figure if I:

1) stick with my set up and just by a new 11.4-5 tire and tube and get back to flying.

2) buy some McCreary 5.00-5 tires and tubes.

3) bite the bullet and buy a complete wheel/brake/axle/tire combo and junk the AZUSAs.

Here are my thoughts:

1) I'll be flying sooner with no mods to the aircraft. I have no problem with the wimpy drum brakes, but I am afraid I will wind up with the same problem in the future - blown tire! and possibly at a worse time. What pressure is everyone with this set up using? Has anyone else had problems with cut tubes?

2) I like the idea of larger diameter as I would like to occasionally fly off grass. I havent tried with the 11.4-5s yet but I bet the 5.00-5 will work better. I can stick with the same brakes and will only need to provide wheel pant clearance. First question - will the 5.00-5s fit on the AZUSA wheels? I know the diameter is OK, but is the wheel too narrow for the wider tire. If they will fit, what pressure should I use? Anyone have any experience with this combo? What type of tube are you using?

3)Probably will fix the problem, but will cost some big $$$ and will require the most modification to the aircraft. I know I built the whole thing, but I want to fly and not modify the the thing every other day. What wheel/brake/axle/tire combo is everyone using?

Everyone's input would be much appreciated.

If I can provide any more details, let me know.

Thanks for the website! - it is great to have an established builder/operator group.

Best regards,

Lee Riedel
N35LR

Hi Lee,
I fly with the GPAS weels (I think they are the AZUSA 5" weels) and the McCreary 5.00-5 tires and tubes.
I fly most on grass and have no problems, but its a Sonerai1. I think the Cheng Shin/Lamb 11.4-5 tire is
not the optimal tire size for grass strip and the weight and speed of the Sonerai2.
My wheel pants are the original GPAS wheel pants and have enough room for the 5" tire.
The AZUSA weels on Spruce, have the " 5/8" I.D. sealed bearings" but I had buy the wheels from GPAS
and on this weels, there are bearings like this:
www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/lgpages/matcoW600XLT.php
This bearings are conical and so the two half sides of the wheels will become a additional pressure in the
direction of the mounting screws and so, the wheels are more stable (I think).
>> GPAS: 5" Aluminum Wheels with 3/4" tapered roller bearings.
You must show, if your axle fit with this bearing, if not, buy the axle from GPAS.
I think, this different bearings are the important detail!
With this wheels and tires, I fly with about 30PSI and had no problems... with Sonerai1
regards
Juergen

Lee:
I've always used the 5.00-5 McCreary or Aero Trainer tires on the Azusa wheels on my IIL. They are the 6-ply rated tires, and I run them at about 20-25 psi to make them squishy enough to keep the landing workload down. My Azusas have a maximum allowable pressure of 30 psi stamped on the rim. So far, there have been no issues with slipping tubes.

Scott informed this message got lost...& to re post it.

Hello group... The Ying Yang tires...sorry Cheng Shin tires (joke) are
used by the Canard guys and they put 60-65 LBS in them. Two Variezes
flew around the world with these tires....no problems. I got a set of
Ying Yangs that I am waiting to try on with my pressure recovery wheel
pants....80% finished project. Oh make sure you use the 8 ply...they
make them as low as to 2 ply. If you want to know more go to the
canard-aviators group in Yahoo and search Cheng Shin or tire pressure
Ivan in Sugar Land, Texas

Back