• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Barnstormert Sonerai 2 LTS - Seeking Advice

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danieldorgan

There's a Sonerai 2 LTS frame being offered on Barnstormers. It is being sold by Jake Cramer who I understand is an EAA member in Michigan? I am at the point where I have the garage organized, work bencheds built, and have purchased the necessary tools. I think this would give me a much needed boost. It is built using the oxy-acetylene method. I had planned on TIG welding as it is something I have wanted to try and master for many years. Seeking advice as my prior building experience is nill.

I don’t know the particulars on that airframe and was sort of interested myself although it is a long haul from Virginia so I eventually didn’t inquire -- but getting a sound, welded-up fuselage is a heck of a head start. As long as it is straight and the welding is sound, that is a nice way to start off since it already looks like an airplane – the project I mistakenly sold a few years ago began for me that way. It is certainly worth having him send you a few pictures and then go from there. As to TIG welding – that seems to be a rite of passage in some circles (I have TIG myself), but largely boils down to builder’s preference. To me (an amateur weekend hack) TIG v. O/A is sorta like comparing digital CDs to analog music – when I want to relax and enjoy it, I fire up the gas… but that’s just me. However, as for the airframe, I’d certainly inquire if you are in the market… :)

There is no problem whatsoever with oxyacetylene welding. In some regards like stress relieving it could be argued that it is preferred. The welds in the pics look pretty good.

But, IMHO there is way to much rust on that airframe for me. Someone is going to say that it is just "surface" rust. I'm not so sure. I don't like it. It would have been very easy for a caring builder to have put oil or rattle can primer to have prevented this rust.

Kevin

Thanks. That kind of confirms my concerns. There was a guest post from 2014 on the forum asking about the status of the project. I assume not much work had been done and the fuselage left to sit.

Our project got started when I bought a rusty oxy welded fuselage frame. It has been perfectly okay and this is how it looked when some welding was done on it. The frame was sand blasted several years after the picture was taken and it came up like brand new.

Attachments

• IMG_0807.JPG
    IMG_0807.JPG
    660.2 KB · Views: 64
Back