• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Bending of top longerons - Have I made a mistake?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobthebuilder

Hi guys,

I have completed the two fuselage sides. It’s now time to remove all of the wooden guide blocks from the jigging table and reposition them for the joining of the two sides, upside down on the table.

At this point, I noticed that I may have made a mistake. (or my life incredibly difficult)
The top and bottom longerons need to be bent again, inward, toward the tail.
In my quest for accuracy, I overlooked a small detail. The tube that supports the aileron actuator has been fitted already. Yip .... affraid so, tack welded already. I really don't want to grind this out.

The bend on the top longeron, according to the plans, runs through the longeron where the diagonal intersects. With the aileron actuator tubes in place, I fear that the top longeron actually has nowhere to go and if forced, will place tremendous stress on the structure.

If the bend was slightly forward of the intersection, there would be no issue. But the plans say …..

Has anyone else fitted these before bending the longerons – what was the result?
Any comments or suggestions are most welcome.

Many thanks, Byron

I can't speak for the S1 but I did the same thing with an S2ls and did not have any problems. Remember you are going to stress relieve the entire structure after finish welding.

By the way you joints look fantastic!

Bryan

Not to worry, the little tube will conform to the longeron's direction as you heat the whole area for bending in the longerons… That little tube will more or less 'pivot' at its fwd. end, on the vertical member. ..As Bryan said, when you run the heat over the entire structure later, everything will begin to conform…Ed

Back