• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Best Climb and Glide Speeds

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JondorB1

I have 28 hours now on my Sonerai 2LS and am working through EAA's Flight Test Manual and associated test cards. I've captured data on best angle of climb speed (Vx) and best rate of climb speed (Vy). This is important to determine if you can climb out of a short runway with terrain or obstacles. My data showed a Vy of 77mph. My glide speed data was inconclusive so I'll have to run the tests again. I know these speeds depend on the weight of the aircraft, engine and prop performance but it would be useful to see what others are getting for these numbers. Have any of you determined best climb and glide speeds? Could you share them with the group? Jon

Hi Jon,

80 is what I fly for Vy although I've never timed it with a stopwatch. That lines up pretty well with your more scientific finding.

Ed

I did all of the testing years ago when my Sonerai first flew and it was very close to 80 mph, so that is what I use for Vy. The best glide was a little lower and I use 75 for that. Figured the round numbers were easier to remember. Can't recall the exact numbers as it was 29 years ago that I did it. See, the round numbers were easier to remember.:)

Ed and John,

Thank you for your responses! This is what I was looking for, numbers in the ballpark of what I was seeing. I'll check glide speeds again tomorrow. I'll also use round numbers to keep it simple. Thanks again!

Jon

Back