• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Bondo / Filler?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarkW

Bondo / Filler?

Does anyone have recommendations of what brad or type of filler to use on the wings?

Thanks,
Mark

Do Not Use Bondo or other car type fillers, they lack the flexibility needed for the wings. A mix of two part epoxy(west system, etc) with micro-balloons will yield a flexible filler. You have to prime the wings first before filling.

Poly Fiber Super Fill is a 2 pt filler made for this type of application. It is lightweight and easy to shape and sand. It does not continue to cure and shrink like Bondo, and is also flexible making it great for sheet metal and fiberglass work. I have used it on transitions between fiberglass parts and sheet metal (wing tips and wing skins), fillets, on broad area shallow depressions, and filling pin-holes in fiberglass all with excellent results (on large area pin-holes, Poly Fiber Smooth Prime make this tasks easy).

John

With the Poly Super Fill should a primer be used on aluminum before applying?

Mark

Like other coatings on bare aluminum, it helps to use phosphoric acid etch and brightener on the surface to get it absolutely clean of oils and light corrosion. This also etches the surface. Some gamble with ScotchBrite pads and solvents but it isn't quite as effective theoretically. After working the SuperFill on the surface, clean with a mild solvent like naphtha, then prime and paint. I highly recommend getting a copy of the Poly-Fiber Manual, "How to Cover an Aircraft" for some great instructions, tips and guidance on their covering process. It also has a complete catalog and description of all their covering supplies. It might cost $15-$20 dollars now. I paid $10 14 years ago.

John

Check out WWW.Polyfiber.com
FAX 951-684-0518
BOX 3129, Riverside, CA 92519

Their website has a LOT of instructional information and product descriptions

The book is still $10.00 It is a good read and is full of funny cartoons of what to do and NOT to do. Well worth 10 bucks.

John

Hey guys thanks for the reply's! It helps with the research on what to use

Mark

Here's an alternative to using fillers. I'm lazy, and didn't like the idea of slathering Bondo on the wing, and then having to sand most of it off. What I did was simply fill the rivet holes with laminating epoxy, and used a Dremel tool with a sanding disc to sand the epoxy flush with the top of the rivets. It only took about a half hour for each side of each wing panel.

I agree with Tim!

I did nothing. Aluminum structures have rivets and it is okay if they show!

I did insure a good epoxy primer coat and Aerothane (Poly Fiber) top coat to insure water doesn't penetrate the structure in the rare event it might get wet, in which case it would find it's way out anyway.

Kevin

One more thing crossed off of my list, I like the way you all think!

Mark

Back