• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Borescope advice?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aviacs

Anyone sorted through the options in borescope/endoscoped enough to have a preference or give advice?

So many permutations, many "similar" or even "same" units seem to sell for vastly different prices, too.

Can anyone comment on whether a 3 lens head would be preferable to an articulating single lens head, or vice-versa?
3 lens head offers larger range of focal lengths, and ability to look in smaller areas? Articulating offers (easier?) ability to look directly at a feature, so long as it is within a space the head can articulate?

smt

We have an articulating single lense style here at work. the cable is long, (15 to 20 feet I believe, I've never unrolled it the entire way). we can get it where we need it, the articulating head helps with that sometimes. The single focal length isn't usually an issue as it has auto focus. Zoom is digital, but it's decent. We use it for everything from FOD checks, looking for cracks/damage etc.

It's not a cheap consumer grade product however.

When looking earlier, i wanted to like the Ablescope - it comes up in a lot of references along with Teslong.
But the Able is big (8.5mm) and the wand is not flexible?
I'd like to get into crankcase, not just look at valves.
Also, spindles and the gearworks in machine tools.

The articulating heads don't look as versatile as the multi-camera units, with small dia?
But i have not used any version to compare.

WTR 388, can you say what brand?

Thanks!

smt

We use a Panasonic videoscope at work
https://www.olympus-ims.com/en/rvi-products/iplex-nx/#!cms[focus]=cmsContent13652I think it's in the tens of thousands pricewise, and lenses are thousands. it is very good if you are using it professionally but too expensive if it's just personal use.
It's 4mm diameter, with a 130° articulating tip. lenses are interchangeable for focal length, fwd and side view and stereoscopic for measuring.

When looking earlier, i wanted to like the Ablescope - it comes up in a lot of references along with Teslong.
But the Able is big (8.5mm) and the wand is not flexible?
I'd like to get into crankcase, not just look at valves.
Also, spindles and the gearworks in machine tools.

The articulating heads don't look as versatile as the multi-camera units, with small dia?
But i have not used any version to compare.

WTR 388, can you say what brand?

Thanks!

smt
It is a Panasonic, similar to what M61A1 posted.

Back