• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Building in Fusion 360 or other cad/cam first?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeMartin

Received my plans today and pumped to start working on it.
Has anyone built the plane first in Fusion 360 or another cad/cam program?
I was thinking about building it first in Fusion 360 to get a good grasp on it and then can rotate, pan and zoom.

As an education tool, or simple entertainment, CAD/CAM can be very good – especially for complex aircraft/machines for which there is little secondary information… But for relatively simple structures like the Sonerai family, especially given the hundreds of photos available on this site, it is hard to imagine a position, phase or aspect that hasn’t already been depicted nine-ways to Sunday and refreshingly available to a potential builder…

I've daydreamed about becoming proficient enough at it to generate CAD files of Sonerai that could be dissected at will. I have a subscription to AutoCAD. But, too many irons in the fire to spend much time with it right now. One day!

I have Fusion 360 and Vectric Aspire. I plan on using my cnc router to make as much as possible as it's more accurate than I am. I think making the plane in fusion will actually help a lot, at least me anyways.

kennyw said:
I've daydreamed about becoming proficient enough at it to generate CAD files of Sonerai that could be dissected at will. I have a subscription to AutoCAD. But, too many irons in the fire to spend much time with it right now. One day!

Kennyw, get yourself a 3Dconnexion space mouse. I have the compact and love it! Makes navigation so easy in the 3D environment.

JoeMartin said:
Has anyone built the plane first in Fusion 360 or another cad/cam program?

I did it in Autodesk Inventor, before Fusion 360 came out. F360 could do it but it would be a bit tedious as it lacks frame generator like Solidworks or Inventor. I also did the cad work after building the plane to do FEA stuff and mods.

Back