• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

C.O.G

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mytonic

I am currently working on my weight and balance. My Sonerai 2LS loaded for initial flight would have a CG of 9.34 without ballast. Any experienced Sonerai owners have an opinion on a preferred CG for best aircraft handling?

Was there any answers to this post? I put on a GP electric start setup which brought my CG forward. The plane weighs 620lbs with a CG of 10.55. I want to add lead to the tail and I think instead of being ahead of the halfway point, I want it behind it. Maybe something around 12-13" I have this nifty hold down spot in the tail that obviously had lead on it before (don't mind the dirt!)Pic of tail lead attachment area.JPG. Thoughts?

A typical flight in my 2LS starts around 9.9 inches and moves aft an inch or inch and a half as the fuel burns. Racers or aerobats might prefer something different but this range works for me. Mytonic will be ok at 9.3.

Ed

Thanks Ed,, I have spoken with other Sonerai 2 Drivers that agree starting out with the CG in the 9's will be no problem so I can save weight by not adding ballast. Finally have the FAA coming in 2 weeks for the Airworthy Inspection.

I forgot about the gas! I'm at 10.55 with 10 gallons and 12.56 with 0 gallons. If I add 5lbs to the tail the spread is 11.32 and 13.37. Maybe that's about right?

Back