• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Canopy pics

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zacheryjas

Does anyone have any nice pictures of their canopy being assembled? Just started biting away at mine today and I have a few questions.

Zach

Hey Zach,

You'll see quite a few variations on canopy frame bracing and other details. I'm currently waiting for square tube delivery to finish my frame. I intend to use a cross brace at the front, as many have done, in addition to the center cross brace and an upper cross brace at the turtle deck. I've welded the latch rod assembly but it's not yet installed. I'm not sure how helpful these pictures will be, but maybe they will answer some of your questions.

Larry

Attachments

• CanopyFrt.JPG
    CanopyFrt.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 79
  • CanCtrHinge.JPG
    CanCtrHinge.JPG
    952.7 KB · Views: 78
  • CanRrHinge.JPG
    CanRrHinge.JPG
    953.2 KB · Views: 75
Thank you so much for your reply. I’m a little further along. My canopy frame is complete and I’m about to start trimming and fitting. Weird thing is my frame doesn’t have double hoops in the front like yours does but my spare airframe does. Hmmmm

In other words, fitting the bubble to the canopy and the skirt to the bubble/canopy frame.

Ed, this is exactly what I’m looking for! I’m guessing the fat end of the bubble goes to the front? Or does it go towards the rear?

zach

The thing about bubbles is, they're all different, some being more bulbous in front than others. I'm not sure I can say categorically that the "fat" end goes either way. Set it on your airframe both ways and pick the one you like better is the best lame advice I have to offer.

By the way, the last photo, showing a gap between the skirt and the bubble, is an example of skill falling short of the mark. But rather than start over I filled the gap with weatherseal and it looks ok.

Back