• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Canopy/turtle deck mating

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gaston

If I was to rebuilt my S2L one point I sure would change is the union between canopy and turtle deck that would be swept back for an easier fit and seal...
Another point would be the transverse tubing at the top of the front seat. I would move it maybe 1 or 2 inch rearward (possible on the low wing only, and probably not required on the stretch version)
this would add room between the head of the passenger and instrument panel.
Note that I'm really happy with this bird as it is...

Gaston

This was post a few months after I made my turtledeck, I could have changed it then. Mine follows the plans suggested 1" back from straight up and down. I would love to change it now. This might explain why in more detail.
I would have the turtledeck bow follow the diagonal tube on the fuselage truss. This would move the top of the turtledeck back 7-8". This would making getting in much easier by giving room to sit on the upper seat crosstube. It would also allow a canopy skirt to overlap just a bit on the top of the turtledeck. This skirt would pull away as it was raised because of the slope

Not on the II/IIL plans is adding a drop to the 3 hinge bushings then going in/up/and back to the canopy frame. This extra drop would let the canopy open a bit more. I think this may show up on other model plans.

Scott R

Back