• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Carb Preferences

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FarmAV8R

Any suggestions for a simple replacement to a POSA carb?

I'd like something consistent and dependable, but try to stay as simple as possible and still have a full range mixture control (without costing me an arm and a leg).

The fuel injectors from Ellison Fluid Systems look nice, but the smallest they have is the EFS-3A, which is designed for 85-140 HP engines. I've got an 1835 engine which I believe is only rated at about 65-hp.

The Aerocarb - I believe they call it an injector these days - has worked well for me. It has a poor man's mixture control that simply chokes off the fuel at the shutoff valve but it works. I'm not familiar with the geometry of the Posa but it might even be a drop in replacement.

Ed

My POSA is a bottom mount to a y-tube. I think the AeroCarb is an upgrade loosely based on the POSA. I really don't care for the fact that there isn't much documentation nor parts available for the POSA.

Looks like the POSA "mixture control" is basically the same thing. The fuel inlet fitting is spring loaded out, and as you 'lean' the mixture, the mixture lever on the carb pushes against the spring loaded fuel inlet fitting, pushing it in, which I assume restricts the fuel flow entering the carb.

I was somehow expecting something a little more technically advanced for a mixture control... LOL

My mixture control looks like small 1/4 turn valve, but i have not taken it apart to find out. Maybe i will take a pic to compare.

FarmAV8R said:
Any suggestions for a simple replacement to a POSA carb?

I'd like something consistent and dependable, but try to stay as simple as possible and still have a full range mixture control (without costing me an arm and a leg).

The fuel injectors from Ellison Fluid Systems look nice, but the smallest they have is the EFS-3A, which is designed for 85-140 HP engines. I've got an 1835 engine which I believe is only rated at about 65-hp.

You might look at the thread on SU carbs. I have the last posts and two carbs for sale. They will need rebuild.
-Pete

Link: http://www.sonerai.net/smf/index.php?topic=1716.msg20504;topicseen#new

I've been flying behind my Aerovee with the Aeroinjector Carb for 2 years now and can report never having a problem. I've never had to make any adjustments and it's worked flawless. With that being said I don't believe it would be my first choice in carburators. Since it has to fit inside the cowl and you can't add ram air it's rather limited. My buddy's Revmaster does use ram air however it's not a "true" ram air inlet as Revmaster's air filter fits inline thus decreasing some of the ram air pressure and releasing it into the cowling. However it does vent cool outside air directly into the carb which I'm sure benefits power output and cooling. I'm seriously considering adding Revmaster's alternate air source intake and filter to my aeroinjector.

I've considered it but the Zenith is slightly more expensive than the aeroinjector or revflow, but my biggest concern is the need for a Carb-heat box. I have very limited space under my cowl.

I've been flying behind my Aerovee with the Aeroinjector Carb for 2 years now and can report never having a problem. I've never had to make any adjustments and it's worked flawless. With that being said I don't believe it would be my first choice in carburators. Since it has to fit inside the cowl and you can't add ram air it's rather limited. My buddy's Revmaster does use ram air however it's not a "true" ram air inlet as Revmaster's air filter fits inline thus decreasing some of the ram air pressure and releasing it into the cowling. However it does vent cool outside air directly into the carb which I'm sure benefits power output and cooling. I'm seriously considering adding Revmaster's alternate air source intake and filter to my aeroinjector.
Fred
I just flew with True Ram Air on my Cygnet equipped with a 34mm Revflow. I have a carb heat box between my ram air and the carb. My tuning issues were due to an undersized filter that was loading up due ot ground test. Nothing short of fantastic! Took off 200 feet shorter climbed stronger heads ran cooler. That last one may have been cooler OAT but climbed strong to 2500 ft and warmest CHT stabilized at 360 on climb others were 310-330.

Back