• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Carburators What's Hot & What's Not ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phzabriskie

Supporting Member
I have brought this up before but did not get much response and I really need some solid input so I can set-up my engine and run it this spring. A poll could be useful here: What engine type/size do you have? And what is your carbutator setup? Would the moderators approve this Poll? I have a 1700 cc Revemaster that came with my project that has never been run since it left the facorty, I am quessing 1980. It had a Posa carb, and the EAA Tech that looked at my Sonerai at purchase time recommended I replace it. I know Revemaster makes a carb and so does AeroVee. I read a few of you run Zenith carbs and I got there brochre, a very good one, and the model 1408 sidedraft 25-110cid and model 87 sidedraft 100-200 cid look like they would do the job. I asked the A&P mechanic at my Fedex ramp about fuel injection and he explained that throttlebody carbs are a form of fuel injection, vs., injectors in the cylinderheads. Does anybody run injectors? Any and all input is greatly appreciated and I thank you inadvance. Pete Z.

Hi Pete,

Poll away. As a registered member, you have a "Poll" button on the topic page but this may be too simplistic for your needs. I recommend that you do like Jeff did with the Static RPM topic and post some questions. We can compile the answers into one post later.

BTW, I ran a carb poll on Sonerai.net a while back. Here's a link with the results:

http://www.sonerai.net/CMS/index.php?option=com_poll&task=results&id=19

This poll did not ask what type and size engine the responder had. And as you know, just because the Aero Carb had top ranking, it doesn't mean it is the best carb for a particular application.

What engine type/size do you have?
I have a GPASC 2180cc with an Ellision EFS-2 TBI. I have nothing but good things to say about it. Unfortunately Ellison no longer manufactures this model.

Carbutator setup?
Ellision EFS-2 TBI is mounted below engine facing forward with ram air intake. Carb heat available.

Does anybody run injectors?
I believe a South Africa Sonerai builder is using MegaSquirt http://www.bgsoflex.com/megasquirt.html

I suppose there are advantages to each style. I chose a slide carb over a standard carb for a few reasons. Resistance to carb ice, engine does not dye while inverted, does not get clogged with small pieces of crud.

I don't use carb heat so the install is simpler.

A normal float carb tends to be easier to set and maintain proper mixture.

Both work, but have compromises.

My suggestion is to define what you are looking for and what is important to you and pick the carb based on that. Otherwise, opinions are like... well you know the rest.

For an interesting Fuel Injection setup....look at www.sdsefi.com. They run a Vans RV-6 on a Subaru with their setup. There is a link at the bottom of the page for aircraft.

Though I don't know anybody who uses it, it seems like a nice setup if you want FI.

But, A carb, carb heat, and dual ignition is the traditional, and cheapest way to build a SAFE engine.

Just my opinion.
Jeff

Hello Sonerai's, I'm a newbie with a Sonerai2L & a 1915cc,Sterba prop. No...contrary to my sign-up data, the bird has not flown as yet. It's a plain jane but, okay. It's licensed as a one seater (N394WB) & will get a final inspection soon. I'm using a Zenith 1821S side draft under engine with the usual "Y" induction pipes. After a few ground run-ups, the idle sort of gallops along and static runup had about 3200 rpm.Good, except very quickly the engine promptly returned to about 1100-1400 rpm! This was repeated several times with same results. This carb has but one externally adjustable needle valve(idle I think) and one fixed beneath the float bowl. I'm using gravity flow fuel & 3/8 aluminum lines & fittings. Fuel flow test was very adequate I think. GPAS says to drill out the main jet & see what transpires as the carb's (according to GPAS) large enough for a 2180cc engine. Anyone using a Zenith or privy to the care & feeding of this carb? I'd love to get this little rascal airborne. There was no pertinent info or data included with the carb and haven't been able to acquire any to date. WallyB- ([email protected])

Thanks Scott, your survey gives me an idea where to head. And thanks Jeff, safe is the way to go forsure. If anyone else reading this topic has ideas to share please do I will be checking in often. Cheers, PZ

I don't know if many people realize it but throttle body injection can form ice downstream of the injectors if you have no form of air or manifold heating setup. Multiport injection, where you have a injector right in front of the intake valve, is the only setup that is free of the potential of ice build up.

Dave

phzabriskie said:
I have brought this up before but did not get much response and I really need some solid input so I can set-up my engine and run it this spring. A poll could be useful here: What engine type/size do you have? And what is your carbutator setup? Would the moderators approve this Poll? I have a 1700 cc Revemaster that came with my project that has never been run since it left the facorty, I am quessing 1980. It had a Posa carb, and the EAA Tech that looked at my Sonerai at purchase time recommended I replace it. I know Revemaster makes a carb and so does AeroVee. I read a few of you run Zenith carbs and I got there brochre, a very good one, and the model 1408 sidedraft 25-110cid and model 87 sidedraft 100-200 cid look like they would do the job. I asked the A&P mechanic at my Fedex ramp about fuel injection and he explained that throttlebody carbs are a form of fuel injection, vs., injectors in the cylinderheads. Does anybody run injectors? Any and all input is greatly appreciated and I thank you inadvance. Pete Z.

Back