• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Clarification on wing rib material thickness.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeMartin

Studying the plans to get ready to build the ribs I see in the airfoil layout it notes .020" 2024-T3. In the wing construction manual calls for .025" 2024-T3. Was there a change to .025" to make it stiffer? The weight difference is probably not much to worry about but I just want to make sure.

Thanks

The original Sonerai I and II Plans called for 0.020” thick ribs. The Sonerai II Stretch plans changed the ribs to 0.025”. I’m not sure why. The ribs in my IIL are 0.020”". All of the ribs that I sell are 0.025”. You could build your ribs either way, as it won’t significantly affect the strength of the wing.

Soneraifred said:
The original Sonerai I and II Plans called for 0.020” thick ribs. The Sonerai II Stretch plans changed the ribs to 0.025”. I’m not sure why. The ribs in my IIL are 0.020”". All of the ribs that I sell are 0.025”. You could build your ribs either way, as it won’t significantly affect the strength of the wing.

Thanks Fred.

Back