• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Control Surface Questions, (newbie owner)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Val_895

Thank you for taking the time look here. We have just purchased a 2LS with a 80hp, completed and with all FAA paperwork.
It has never flown and we are going over it with a fine tooth comb. All measurements seem to be to plans accept the turtle deck is 2” taller than plans.
My question is concerning the control surfaces and stick throw adjustments.
In my set of plans I have no listing for what the maximum throws are on any control surfaces. It does show one B/W photo and says to chk it with an angle devise but goes no further.
The big reason for my concern is that the aileron stick throw in the cockpit is 13” side to side. That only leaves me 5.5” on each side to pinch against my knees.
That makes it impossible to hold the stick back and have full right to left throw as it buried in my crotch.
Is this normal? Or is some ratio or position off in the rigging. I see in the plans there are two different torque tube horns. I have the non adjustable one. Thanks any info Jeff and Sarah

I found the actual (needed) aileron & elevator throws (at the stick) to be VERY small for normal flight. My first takeoff was very exciting as I was over controlling in pitch and roll due to the HIGHLY effective response of this airplane, and the "little bit goes a long way" concerning my stick-inputs. IMO...the stick will give the pilot all the input authority he needs and then some! You may find "5.5 between the knees" to be plenty. Watch and wait for some of the other guys here to chime in. I did not build mine and have never actually 'measured' the stick-throw distances. Welcome to the 'family'. There are some AMAZINGLY knowledgeable and experienced Sonerai drivers and builders here that are happy to help you.

When flying the Sonerai, you want to rest your forearm on your leg, and fly with your wrist - small movements go a long way. It is a completely "honest" airplane, and will do exactly what you tell it to do, with plenty of control authority in all 3 axes. Think "Sports Car" handling vs truck and you should be fine.

Thankyou for the info. I’m getting my tail time in a Luscome and my instructor has me follow all four corners when ground handling as if always in a breeze. I’m a yoke man so the stick is new. I cannot get to the two rear corners of throw when I sit in the sonerai. Only straight back and about 8”max right to left. So it sounds like this is normal. My girlfriend has let’s say more feminine thighs so it will be even worse when she flies it. Although she has more tail time than me she found it odd as well coming from an RV. I am going to put some curve in the rear stick and see if that helps get a little more.

You don't need much throw in flight but check your aileron and elevator links - eye bolts etc - are set correctly and 'tight'.

I bought by Sonerai partly on the premise that it was a completely honest airplane and flown with 2 fingers and two toes. It's true. But, that is another way of saying the Sonerai II anyway, has neutral stability. It does not return to straight and level from anything. You are required to fly it. If built exactly to plans, That may be true, If it has been modified then the word neutral, might change to negative stability which mine was when I bought it. Another way of saying negative stability is divergent.
Bill E

When flying the Sonerai, you want to rest your forearm on your leg, and fly with your wrist - small movements go a long way. It is a completely "honest" airplane, and will do exactly what you tell it to do, with plenty of control authority in all 3 axes. Think "Sports Car" handling vs truck and you should be fine.

Back