• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Conversion to 3rd wheeh on right end.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spezioman

I looked at a 2L today. Drove a couple hours assuming it was tailwheel but quickly noticed it sat at an "odd" angle. I didn't have time to look close but on average what does moving gear forward entail. I'm dumb and don't know exactly how gear is attached.... It is a very well built airplane. Nose wheel just not my thing off turf. My friend with Skyranger has had several nosegear issues from our rather smooth runway. It does have a stinger for a tailwheel. It is an estate sale and kids don't know much. Never flown but ready too. Thanks

Jack

Depends on if the builder welded in the bushings and reinforcement plate for the main gear at the tailwheel location, and if he welded in the tube at the tail for the round tailspring. If he did that then it is rather easy. Just unbolt the main gear and move it forward and put the tailspring/wheel on, redo weight and balance. Will have to redo the brakes be it hydraulic or mechanical, but that is basically all there is. Here are a few screen grabs showing the tailspring mount and the main gear mount. You can look inside the cockpit to see if the main gear mounts are there, and even the tri-gear usually has the tail tube for mounting a tail skid. If the mounts aren't there you can still add them but would require removing or peeling off a bit of fabric to weld them in and then re-attaching the fabric.

Main gear attach.PNGTailspring mount.PNG

Back