• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Couple questions for everyone

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chopndrag

I have the ability to make fiberglass auxiliary tanks in the turtle deck. I plan on making a mold at work and building one for myself. The planes I build do 100% wet wings and we use all ethanol safe resins. Would this be something anyone would be interested in getting? I also am going to make some landing gear covers to stream line it and a couple other things. I do have a question though about the wing pins. Does anyone have pictures of there's installed ? I am almost ready to get in the air after I put the aeroconversion trim in so I want to make sure my pin are right too.

I am most definitely interested in n auxiliary fuel tank! Let me know what you have to have for one. I am in the process of prepping for painting, after I finish the landing light housings and covers.

You can get in touch with me at my email: [email protected]
or text me at 325-718-9821
Cecil Walston
Ballinger Texas

My S2 came with wet wings.
One of the reasons that inspired me to cross the border to acquire it.

Alternately, if that had not occurred, i was interested in Hoerner tips with fuel.
Hoerner tips (without fuel) do add both actual & effective span, & some load to the spars, though.
But it seems that might be a desirable option.
Considering all factors including safety, weight (with mounting accessories), security of plumbing & tank penetrations, & cost, what does a fiberglass fuselage tank offer over an aluminum fuselage tank?

smt

Last edited:
What resin are you using that is safe with ethanol? I myself will likely be doing either wet Hoerner tips or a tank in each wing that will fill up the space of one bay between the main and aft spars. Keeping the space behind the seat for luggage. With all the searching I've done, I haven't come across an ethanol safe resin without having to coat the inside of the tank. We do have ethanol free mo-gas here, but in the off chance I can't get it, I want to know I'm not gumming up the fuel system.

I have access to every tool I could need to make my own, (heatcon set up here at work) but heck, some pre-made stuff is always welcome.

Sorry guys had a serious thing come up ... We are basically going to make it fit in the turtle deck and possible fill out the top/ side or kind of the front. Haven't figured out capacity but probably 5 gallons or more is my guess. We are going to use the same resin they use for the wet wings in the planes we already build. That stuff I have no clue about to be honest. I am a tig welder by trade and we toyed with the idea of welding some but the cost of aluminum would just be ridiculously overpriced for something that can just be molded and done. Coming up with pricing once we figure it all out and also maybe some other fairings and what not.

0.040 aluminium, rivets and Proseal is easy to work with and won't leak if you do it carefully.

The biggest problem is working out how to attach it to the fuselage to spread the load of the full tank and also remain in place in an accident.

You may have CofG problems if you make it too big.

1624312513997.png

0.040 aluminium, rivets and Proseal is easy to work with and won't leak if you do it carefully.

The biggest problem is working out how to attach it to the fuselage to spread the load of the full tank and also remain in place in an accident.

You may have CofG problems if you make it too big.

View attachment 15500

Do you have drawings for this tank?

Pro seal leaking watch mike Peaty on sealing his tanks. Good procedure and testing. I think it was two vids ago.

Patey. Yes, great content about tank sealing. He also made a solid point about why not to coat the whole interior of a tank.

I work with proseal quite regularly, and his tips were spot on... I liked his idea of taping up the backside of the rivet line to prevent excess squeeze out when spreading the sealant on the mating side, will use that the next time I do something like that...

I'm not a fan of excess coatings of things for the reasons he mentions... I'd rather build my aux fuel tanks from fiberglass, but to protect them from possible ethanol I'd have to coat them. And if the coating fails then there is a risk of the coating plugging up something or the ethanol eating the resin, so I'll just go with aluminum.

If you are considering temporary "ferry tank" kind of aux fuel tanks for certain trips, I think the Giant Loop fuel bag could be a good option. I've been giving it some thought as a range-extender for my Cygnet. It could lay in my baggage compartment and a Facet "cube pump" could transfer the the fuel to the main tank when desired.

https://www.giantloopmoto.com/product/gas-bag-fuel-safe-bladder/
It's a way to add temporary capacity without adding permanent weight. And probably less likely to burst in an accident than a plastic tank.

I think some of the backwoods flyers with small tanks take those with them to transfer fuel. Kit fox and stuff.

Do you have drawings for this tank?
I suggest you first make one out of cardboard or plywood to fit your aircraft. About 25 litres would be sufficient for a reserve tank.
Other considerations:
  • How will you access the interior in the future (removable panel on the bottom)?
  • Where to put a water drain sump (rear)?
  • Where will you mount the fuel level sensor (front)?
  • Where will you fit the fuel vent (at the front top)?
  • How will you tie down to the longerons (aluminium straps)?
  • Are your longerons strong enough to support the weight of the full tank in say a 4g situation?
  • How will it affect your weight and balance (moves the CofG aft)?
  • How will you add fuel (options include pumping from another tank and a filler cap in the top of the fuselage)?

I suggest you first make one out of cardboard or plywood to fit your aircraft. About 25 litres would be sufficient for a reserve tank.
Other considerations:
  • How will you access the interior in the future (removable panel on the bottom)?
  • Where to put a water drain sump (rear)?
  • Where will you mount the fuel level sensor (front)?
  • Where will you fit the fuel vent (at the front top)?
  • How will you tie down to the longerons (aluminium straps)?
  • Are your longerons strong enough to support the weight of the full tank in say a 4g situation?
  • How will it affect your weight and balance (moves the CofG aft)?
  • How will you add fuel (options include pumping from another tank and a filler cap in the top of the fuselage)?

Hello vhbill, thanks for your answer. Actually, I'm planning to use it to put baggage in it. Not really as a tank since I have tanks in the wing. And weight should not be a problem, I use my plane to travel and just need more space to put clothes for myself, haha. It's more about volume than weight.

How exciting to be flying in Argentina in a Sonerai. Bill

It really is! My region is quite ideal for flying a sonerai: low altitude, plain terrain (not to worry of outlanding in a field), long distances (need a fast plane), and typically long runways.

20210402_135112(0).jpg20210121_173307.jpg

Last edited:
Back