• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Cutting Aluminum

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have used a carbide tipped circular saw blade in the table saw to cut alum sheet to rough size. Also, I use a 1/4" 2-fluted carbide edged router bit in my die grinder to carve alum.

Yes.
Routers & pin router for thin sheet and pattern copying.
Table saw for plate & bar stock up to about 2 - 3" thick (depends on W x L, don't like sawing small parts).
Sometimes wood bandsaw with reserved/dedicated claw-tooth regular steel blade for aluminum chunks and castings over maybe 2" thick on up. (there's nothing special about the blade, it's just one that doesn't owe me anything more for wood & still has enough set not to bind in aluminum). Generally the 30" woodwhacking bandsaw is much faster than the metal cutting bandsaw, which is geared for steel.

For small parts pattern copying, Thomson table or pantograph with either wood router bits, or sometime endmills.

Also using woodworking tools to cut up the sheet steel and metal (steel) studs for the canopy oven on-going build this past week.
Router with aux speed control & 3/16" carbide tooth bit for cut-outs and trimming, Battery op skilsaw for straight cuts against a batten. Old, superheavy all cast iron early Rockwell trim carpenter chop saw for cut-off with triple chip non-ferrous blade. (works ok on Fe anyway :) ). I do have a Milwaukee metal cutting (skil-type) saw for cutting up heavy steel plate, but the blades are expensive and chip on sheet metal. Also the battery op with a metal roofing blade on it, is lighter.

smt

PS- All the aircraft manufacturers used what were essentially either woodworking pin routers and spindle shapers for contour duplicating aluminum sheet metal parts. Or OEM beefed-up versions of same for the industry, until well into the computer age.

Last edited:
Like others, I use pretty much anything for AL sheet. I use my wood blade on my band saw all the time for sheet, even used my router to mill out an amplifier mount from 1" thick 6061 stock.

I'm lucky with my access to tools, if I don't have it, I probably have it at work... I just wish our brake wasn't the short 5' one, I'll have to order my spars I think.

I've used my Craftsman Chromedge crosscut hand saw for cutting aluminum sheet. I also scribe with a snap blade box cutter and break along the line. I also sometimes use a hacksaw to make a smooth cut in wood. My shop teacher would be horrified....

Attachments

• DSCF7673.JPG
    DSCF7673.JPG
    927.1 KB · Views: 22
I use a carbide tipped table saw blade designed for aluminum - got it at Home Depot. It makes a fast, straight and clean cut.

Back