• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

DOES A ZENITH CARB REQUIRE A FUEL PUMP??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glenda Curtiss

I JUST PICKED AN S2L WITH A 2276?? VW. IT HAS A ZENITH CARB WITH A FUEL PUMP. IS THE FUEL PUMP NECESSARY?
IS THERE A SIMPLER AND JUST AS GOOD CARB AS THE ZENITH? I LOVE SIMPLICITY. THANKS

My S-2L has a Facet electric fuel pump. The check-list I got from Smokey, when I bought it says to turn fuel pump on for take-off, landing, climbs, and aerobatics. I figure if its there, and it looks like it should be there, then there's probably a good reason.

My Sonerai IIL has never had a fuel pump (other than gravity). I’ve used POSA’s, a float bowl HAPI UltraCarb, and the AeroCarb, and I’ve never felt the need for an electric pump. There is enough fuel head pressure to feed any of those carbs, and I don’t see any reason why a pump is needed for a Zenith carb. Just my opinion...

DCorrigan,

That fuel pump on your new S-IIL is to transfer fuel from the aux to the main...

;0) Brad

My Sonerai IIL has never had a fuel pump (other than gravity). I’ve used POSA’s, a float bowl HAPI UltraCarb, and the AeroCarb, and I’ve never felt the need for an electric pump. There is enough fuel head pressure to feed any of those carbs, and I don’t see any reason why a pump is needed for a Zenith carb. Just my opinion...
I'm working a Sonerai 2300cc (starter& Stator on it)and as of now the old POSA carb is on it. I've got an Aeroinjector carb a few years back to put on it because it was suggested the old posa's are a real pain to get started. I am only looking for the most practical carb. Now some folks tell me the floatless carbs are prone to fire. Well I'd figure you'd be the fellow to ask for a realistic awnser as it seems you just about have had them all. I need you advise from all them years of experience. Thank you for your time.

DCorrigan,

That fuel pump on your new S-IIL is to transfer fuel from the aux to the main...

;0) Brad
Hey Brad
i finally checked my messages after about a year,ha. Thanks for the fuel pump info. I came soooooo close to having my TW done last fall, but no bananna. This spring will be the spring, which was what i said last spring. I put a new Aerocarb from Sonex on it and i like it. I now have a core for a Marvel Schebler if anyone wants one cheap. I wont ask how the Duce is going. If your like me, it almost an endless job. Hopefully youre not like me. Regards DH

I JUST PICKED AN S2L WITH A 2276?? VW. IT HAS A ZENITH CARB WITH A FUEL PUMP. IS THE FUEL PUMP NECESSARY?
IS THERE A SIMPLER AND JUST AS GOOD CARB AS THE ZENITH? I LOVE SIMPLICITY. THANKS
Doug , I have a Zenith carb on my Great Plains 2180 equipped 2L and do NOT have an electric pump onboard,and never saw a need for one. As Fred said head pressure is adequate enough to where a pump isn’t necessary. I do have carb heat installed though, is really needed on cold damp days.

@McPeek...

I've never heard about floatless carbs being prone to fire. It's important to follow the correct starting procedure though: fuel on until it drips, then off until after the engine is running. If left on during a prolonged starting effort a puddle of fuel will develop on the ground under the cowling and that of course would be a fire hazard. But done the right way, no problem. My Aerocarb has treated me well for 12 years.

Ed

Hey Brad
i finally checked my messages after about a year,ha. Thanks for the fuel pump info. I came soooooo close to having my TW done last fall, but no bananna. This spring will be the spring, which was what i said last spring. I put a new Aerocarb from Sonex on it and i like it. I now have a core for a Marvel Schebler if anyone wants one cheap. I wont ask how the Duce is going. If your like me, it almost an endless job. Hopefully youre not like me. Regards DH

Can you tell me more about the condition/model of the Marvel carb?

I'm looking for an MA-3 carb with a working mixture control, the one in my carb is stuck. If your carb has this I would buy it.

Can you tell me more about the condition/model of the Marvel carb?
It was running fine. Then it sat for a year or two. Then it wouldnt run smoothly. I wanted an injector carb, so that was the excuse i needed. I took it off, soaked it in a pail of carb cleaner. Now its in parts and i probably wont ever put it back together. Ill have to check the model. Came off an O290 former ground power.

I'm looking for an MA-3 carb with a working mixture control, the one in my carb is stuck. If your carb has this I would buy it.
The controls, including mixture worked fine when removed. Its apart right now. Thats how i would deliver it, in pieces. I can send pics if youd like.

The controls, including mixture worked fine when removed. Its apart right now. Thats how i would deliver it, in pieces. I can send pics if youd like.
I would like to purchase the carburetor parts. Let me know where to send payment. 405-863-4926

Sdjonson, is the carb with the stuck shaft a MA-3 if so it might have some parts I could use, if so please let me know the price. Ed 815 757 3419

Yes, I'll take it. Call me at 405-863-4926 to work out details. Thanks
. THIS CARB IS AN MA-4 something something. As i said it was on my O-290 gpu. I will call you an check if its what You want.
F0417BA6-00B6-4CD8-8AF8-6D32A585E13C.jpeg

Last edited:
I would like to purchase the carburetor parts. Let me know where to send payment. 405-863-4926

Im finding it difficult to make sense of how to get around in this forum. Anyway, did you see the foto i posted of the carb? ITS AN MA-4. You have first refusal on it for whatever you think its worth. I can send it to you for inspection if you want. Email me [email protected]

Back