• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Early Greatplains 1835

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hi Guys, new to forum, have 2 questions. Recently purchased a Sonerai II project. Did Sonerai at one time offer a factory welded frame, my frame has amazing welds, also I have an 1835 looks new inside and out, but has a Force 1 prop hub on a 69mm crank. Did Greatplains offer this at one time and is there any issues with this hub?

Not sure what you mean about the Force 1 hub. That is the Great Plain Aircraft custom hub with the long bearing that required machining of the case. It is the preferred setup when compared to the shrink fit hub or the standar tapered hub. The differences are:

Shrink Fit - Requires no engine modification but is regarded as the least desirable. Is the shortest of the three designs. I have this on my airplane with 300+ hours and no problems. May switch next time around but good for now.

Standard Taper fit hub - Requires machining of the crank only to accept the 3 degree taper of the hub bore. Is a tad longer than the shrink fit. No case machining required. Less chance of slipping on the crank.

Force 1 hub - Has a 3 degree taper on the crank, and a long bearing that provides better support to the crank. Requires machining of both the crank and the case.

All three were/are available from Great Plains Aircraft.

As for the welding, there was a professional welder of Sonerai airframes at one time by the name of Greg Klemp (?). No idea whether he's still around.

Ed

As for the welding, there was a professional welder of Sonerai airframes at one time by the name of Greg Klemp (?). No idea whether he's still around.

Ed
Greg klemp is still around, he's the guy that welds and make the gas tanks. If you can go to the coponants and find his name and business number. If this helps getting some answers.

Greg klemp is still around, he's the guy that welds and make the gas tanks. If you can go to the coponants and find his name and business number. If this helps getting some answers.
I don't want to misinform, but a Greg Klemp Sr. is currently welding some axles for my Challenger. Only assuming it's the same guy. Here is his email: [email protected]. delete if not accurate or appropriate.

Back